CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: ESTOP vs E's GONE sensor...

on 2003-03-09 18:28:03 UTC
Sounds like you guys are trying to design a 'safe' motorcycle!

There are multiple methods of installing stops. if your part comes
flying out, you duck, if the coolant splatters, you back away, if
you're out getting coffee (yeah, I never do that either) you need one
in the next room.

If you try to make it fool proof, you'll soon find just how clever a
fool can be.

for punch presses there are often 2 switches, one for each hand.
they must break on each part and make before the next part. that
way, your hands are on the switch, not in the press.

a simple teatherd pull swith will not let you get more coolant or
pick up a chip brush.

laser sensors would stop if you put your hand in the work envelope.

I worked on a 84" dia vertical boring machine some years ago and the
pendant had a 4" long stick hanging down from it. that was the e-
stop. that switch was outside the work envelope, near where your
hands were supposed to be and in a place you were not running away
from. Besides if the parts on that puppy flew out, it was already
too late. On that machine a mat mounted water sensor could have
worked, when it crashed, you damn near peed your pants.

Each machine is different and each operator is too. if you back
away, the hip mounted pull pin would be great. if you lean over to
save the parts, a laser break would work. heck if you had voice
recognition, those of us who shout "what the F*$$#%!" would be a
great off switch.

Lathes often have a foot lever to shut off.

Persnoally, I do not think a dead man switch is that good. I move
too much, getting a broom or changing the radio station or emptying
the ashtray.

But you guys have thought this one up and down.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Monte Westlund"
<montejw@e...> wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Doug Fortune <pentam@c...>
> wrote:
> >
> > I've been thinking about the previous postings
> > regarding hitting a convenient ESTOP button, when
> > you'd rather be running for the door!
>
> Or how about a 'operator tether' like on personal watercraft,
> snowmobiles and treadmills. Or whatever they are called. Operator
> runs for cover and pulls the plug, so to speak.
>
> Monte

Discussion Thread

Doug Fortune 2003-03-07 19:04:24 UTC ESTOP vs E's GONE sensor... Monte Westlund 2003-03-07 19:37:11 UTC Re: ESTOP vs E's GONE sensor... Chris 2003-03-07 19:49:11 UTC Re: ESTOP vs E's GONE sensor... Doug Fortune 2003-03-07 19:49:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: ESTOP vs E's GONE sensor... Monte Westlund 2003-03-07 20:21:30 UTC Re: ESTOP vs E's GONE sensor... Carlos Guillermo 2003-03-07 20:40:57 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: ESTOP vs E's GONE sensor... dakota8833 2003-03-07 20:50:24 UTC Re: ESTOP vs E's GONE sensor... Raymond Heckert 2003-03-09 17:28:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ESTOP vs E's GONE sensor... turbulatordude 2003-03-09 18:28:03 UTC Re: ESTOP vs E's GONE sensor...