CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: setting machine zero

Posted by andrewyslee
on 2003-03-14 14:35:27 UTC
CL <datac@l...> wrote:

> Upper far right corner as you described for x-y "0", especially on
large
> moving gantrys machines can be more difficult to fit into the job
> ergonomically. For some machines like those using the Extratech
> controler, The machines "home routine" has usually been assigned to
the
> far lower left (topview) after running a job and in many cases WAS
the
> location it automatically moves to to locate "machine zero" via
switches

Thanks Chris,

I have no hand-on industrial experience. The only "industrial
experience" I have is reading Mike Lynch's notes and reading CCED
posts.

I agree that setting machine zero at bottom left is easier
mathematically and logically. It is good to hear that there are "big
boys" who set their machine zero at extreme lower left. However, for
the sherline, the easiest point to put limit/"home" switches is to
bolt it onto the motors, which means the switches (zero's) will be at
extreme top far right. I believe you have a Sherline. How do you
place your switches? If I leave the switches at the motors, I
wouldn't be able to use the flashcut method of setting the machine
envelope.

> andrewyslee wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am trying to configure sherline and flashcut to something that
can
> >simulate their bigger brothers (learning purpose, trying to
program
> >like for big machines). I understand most cnc router have their
> >machine zero at the maximum +X +Y and +Z (max. right, max.
forward,
> >max. top)
> >

> Approaching this from the Router Level, Those companies you speak
of do
> not really use a "max X or Y+ position as the Zero,Zero Point as
you
> might be describing. Rather, that IS their Zero point in X and Y.
From
> what I think is your view point, Imagine for a moment putting the
stock
> into that corner "upside-down". Now running any conventional
toolpath
> with a bottom left 0,0 location, runs just fine.
>
> For years I could not understand why companys were doing this. The
> Upper far right corner as you described for x-y "0", especially on
large
> moving gantrys machines can be more difficult to fit into the job
> ergonomically. For some machines like those using the Extratech
> controler, The machines "home routine" has usually been assigned to
the
> far lower left (topview) after running a job and in many cases WAS
the
> location it automatically moves to to locate "machine zero" via
switches
> even though it knows machine zero is in the upper right (topview)!
New
> hermes engravers did something similar... The Home routine to look
for
> switches was towards the top left ( top view), but machine Zero
when you
> ran a toopath really was from the lower left !
>
> Under the design of using anything but the bottom left corner, one
is
> forced to make sure the machine has moved there after a job so you
can
> see your work or remove the material. Some times this "run to the
> opposite end of the machine for home" routine was built into the
control
> and you could do nothing about it. And unfortunately on big
machines,
> when setting an alternate X-Y zero based on your material, one must
jog
> the machine all the way out to that far point to set it from
that "home"
> location. This takes more time than necessary....
>
> I've seen most of these machines dictate the operators location (
by
> location of a programming head or display) parallel to the Y axis
on the
> real "0" end. This method always made you visualize your stock and
> subsequent toolpath as "X+" extending away from you and Y+ to your
> left.I did not like the technique at all and changed the machines I
had
> to make more sense. I wanted the typical Cad programs "Bottom Left
0,0"
> to be the same as when I stand in front of a machine. This
Especially is
> important when you train in others to run that machine. If the axis
> "match" per say, they can understand it better.
>
> If however some like the top right "0" scenario beneficial (your
lower
> right on some Multicam), I have found "Left and closest to you" as
Zero
> concept far more beneficial. The machine is loaded from
the "front"....
> One only has to jog a short distance to the corner of the
materials 0,0
> location.... You seldom need access to the machine for daily work
from
> more than 2 sides ( front and right) and It makes perfect sense in
> relationship to any normal toolpath or drawing.
>
> Everyone in the shops I worked in agreed to move zero to the lower
left
> on all machinery as from the location the operator stood to operate
it.

> >So with flashcut 2.0, In the machine configuration, I set max x-
axis
> >lenght to 9, max. y to 5 and max z to 6. Starting from program
zero,
> >I point move to X=+9, Y=+5, Z=+6. At this point, I zero the
machine
> >coordinates. The software draws a blue box showing the limits for
> >at -6, which will be just like their big brothers, the the blue
box
> >for xy plane extend from (9,5) to (18,10) which means that if I
> >attempt to move to say x=1, this will be an illegal move as it
will
> >be out of the machine envelope.
> >
> You are correct with the scenario because your "move" of 1" is in
the
> "positive" direction of which there is no room to go farther ! If
you
> did an X= Minus1.0" move, it would work. This should indicate that
what
> you are trying to play with can be done, *but your drawing and your
> toolpaths in effect need to have a zero point at that 9" and 5" max
> point, and the toolpaths indicating the work that is happening is
in
> "negative quadrants".
>
> If your Cam proggy can configure your toolpath code to do so, I can
work
> fine, but I'm not sure why one would want to.
>

> >Is it that for flashcut, the only way to set machine zero is to
set
> >it at min. x (extreme left), min. y (nearest operator), max z?
> >
> To my knowledge yes. You can place your Part zero anywhere though.
This
> allows you to develop toolpaths based on a specific location and
set it
> accordingly at the machine. This way if your toolpath calls for
work in
> all 4 quadrants, it can do it fine as long as there is enough
machine
> "envelope" to do so. In your case above, "envelope" is what you ran
out
> of trying to make that additional 1" move. So, the "big Boys" do
not
> *really* do what you were trying, unless there is some really wierd
> reason they need to, or if a boss who knows no different tells you
> "that's the way way always did it and it works fine".......
>
> That was easy, right ?
>
> Chris L

Discussion Thread

andrewyslee 2003-03-14 08:30:16 UTC setting machine zero CL 2003-03-14 10:43:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] setting machine zero andrewyslee 2003-03-14 14:35:27 UTC Re: setting machine zero Chris L 2003-03-14 17:18:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: setting machine zero andrewyslee 2003-03-15 06:03:19 UTC Re: setting machine zero CL 2003-03-15 07:24:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: setting machine zero pcfw 2003-03-20 16:13:19 UTC Re: setting machine zero