CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Aussie Hoby Mill and Lathe - Experience?

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 2003-03-22 20:51:10 UTC
On Thursday 20 March 2003 20:20, Tim Goldstein wrote:
> http://www.clisby.com is the site of the manufacturer. I have not seen
> or used one of these machines but researched them a while back. They are
> much smaller than a Sherline machine. What killed the deal for me was
> feedback from a person I trust that actually got one. They did not feel
> the machine was worth the money.

I think I'm the guy Tim trusts (Thanks for the good word!). I bought one of
the Clisby mills to retrofit with CNC, kind of a novelty item to show at
NAMES in 2001. I found it to be unsatisfactory and returned it. Following is
my correspondence with Clisby (I didn't put a note in the box since I thought
it was obvious what was wrong with the machine, but they asked for an
explanation):

*****
Re: Clisby Mini Mach (Matt Shaver, Mon Mar 5 02:03:32 2001)

Clisby wrote:

> We received the Milling Machine that you returned to us, however,
> there is no information regarding the return. Please reply to us
> in order to evaluate the problem , if any.

Immediately upon recieving the machine I removed the drive belt and
discovered that the spindle binds in its bearings for about half of each
rotation. I didn't power up the spindle motor, but I am doubtful that it
would have had sufficient torque to overcome the binding. Also, the
table was extremely loose on its dovetails. I was able to tighten the
screws that fasten the gib to the saddle, which helped some, but I'm not
confident that will permanently solve the problem.
Unfortunately, I have to conclude these are quality control problems.

Regretably this machine won't be suitable for my application, so please
refund my Citibank MasterCard account $286.09 .

Thanks,
Matt Shaver
*****

The parts that make up the machine are nice enough, but it looked like they
just whipped it together without worrying about fit or function (I compare
this to Sherline, whose machines always come to me in good tune). It's a cute
little machine and QC at Clisby may have improved since then, so it might be
worth another go sometime.

Matt

P.S. They did promptly return my money and I bear no ill will towards them at
all. I might have been able to disassemble the machine and fix it myself, but
I was too short on time, and for the price I thought it should have been
"ready to go" rather than a "kit".

Discussion Thread

bereshr1 2003-03-20 17:16:31 UTC Aussie Hoby Mill and Lathe - Experience? Tim Goldstein 2003-03-20 17:20:42 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Aussie Hoby Mill and Lathe - Experience? Peter Homann 2003-03-20 17:33:17 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Aussie Hoby Mill and Lathe - Experience? turbulatordude 2003-03-20 17:53:57 UTC Re: Aussie Hoby Mill and Lathe - Experience? aerowright 2003-03-21 14:47:42 UTC Re: Aussie Hoby Mill and Lathe - Experience? Matt Shaver 2003-03-22 20:51:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Aussie Hoby Mill and Lathe - Experience?