CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: green horn alert - simple starter package - SOFTWARE

on 2003-04-14 07:01:04 UTC
Hi Jason,

just a note, I am modifying the subject line as the topic changes as
other newbies search and don't always find threads.

There are lots of CAD packages, and most output a DXF file.

There are lots of Controller software, TurboCNC, Master5 and the
like. These run G-code file.

What is needed is a software package that will convert your drawing
file into G-code.

There are software programs that do more and we have a database on
the CCED site that lists progrmas and features and approximate
costs. and the archives are full of users comments about each and
every porgram.

There are a lot of us who do the g-code by hand, (personally I like
Excel) as the files are not terribly long and you have contorl over
everything.

others are doing stuff that would yield huge files so go the
automated route. there are problems with that, but answers too.
most notably, the drawing outputs the lines (cuts) in the same order
you drew them so your tool paths may jump around when you least
expect.

If you are just starting out, my personal recomendation is to use
TurboCNC and set up your machine by g-code. ie: verify your table is
moving correctly and at proper distances by imputing go to lines.
tell it to move exactly one inch then see if it does. go back and
forth and see if it repeats, and so on.

You may find lots of your tasks will be simple to code files and that
cad to convertions to g-code takes longer!

The added benefit is that you learn the basics of g-code so that once
you do move into automating that part, you are not doing black arts,
but you can understand the files.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jason <brainstorm@g...> wrote:
> Ok....now a little 101 here....turbocnc is the controller
software?. Say

<brainstorm@g...>
> wrote:
> > Hi, Im at the earliest phase of the home cnc project, well long
> > story short.
> > What the best,user friendly,ok price,and all around good setup I
> > should start with, to reduce r+d, should I look for in:
> > software,motors, servo, controllers, wire,...blah blah blah.
> > I figure if I have enough imput I can weed out any mistakes and
> such.
> > Hoping for a 3 but wanting a 4 axis setup. And if you could
explain
> > it like if you were talking to your wife. Some thing are just
flat
> > new to me.
> >
> > Thanks guys this is a awesome group site.
> >
> > Jason

> timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts
> metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.

a sister
> site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for
OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM. DON

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> .

zr700fire 2003-04-13 17:46:45 UTC green horn alert turbulatordude 2003-04-13 19:54:31 UTC Re: green horn alert - simple starter package Jason 2003-04-14 00:59:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: green horn alert - simple starter package Ray Henry 2003-04-14 06:21:58 UTC Re: Re: Re: green horn alert - simple starter package turbulatordude 2003-04-14 07:01:04 UTC Re: green horn alert - simple starter package - SOFTWARE Andrew Werby 2003-04-14 11:33:40 UTC Re: Re: green horn alert - simple starter package jeffalanp 2003-04-14 14:32:21 UTC Re: green horn alert Jason 2003-04-14 17:58:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: green horn alert - simple starter package mmurray70 2003-04-15 17:24:27 UTC Re: green horn alert - simple starter package Jason 2003-04-15 21:40:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: green horn alert - simple starter package Chris Baugher 2003-04-17 20:22:33 UTC Rutex servo drives vrsculptor 2003-04-17 21:19:43 UTC Re: Rutex servo drives David Paulson 2003-04-18 06:41:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rutex servo drives Chris Baugher 2003-04-18 08:46:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rutex servo drives Peter 2003-04-18 11:08:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rutex servo drives