CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: oscilloscope for CNC - uses ?

on 2003-06-28 20:42:21 UTC
Lets see if I can help clear this up a bit. Is an oscilloscope
required for CNC systems - the simple answer is no. But like a
multimeter an oscilloscope gives you another diagnostic tool that is
uniquely capable.

I prefers a digital scope for most work (when using one) over a
analog. A good digital scope provides you with al sorts of
measurement capabilities that you will not have on a analog scope. If
you feed far enough up on the digital scope menu you can even have
images stored to disk or a network.

Generally if every thing is working fine there is no need for a scope
when setting up a stepper. However for diagnostic work a scope is
excellent for looking at pulse trains, also some drives may be
tunable. Making your own driver is a whole different ball game. If
you know enough about electronics to design your own driver I'd be
surprised if you didn't already have access to electronic diagnostic
hardware.

Well servos have come a long way, so it depends on whay your using and
doing with it. A packaged motor drive system may have little need for
a scope. Recovered hardware from a rebuilt CNC may require a scope.
Generally; if an amplifier has gain and compensation pots then a scope
can be put to use calibrating the drive. So in answer to your question
yes the need is not universal. But the qualifier "applications
specific" causes problems, a scope can be used to diagnose even a
completely packaged system. The issue is having a back ground to use
the scope effectively, an electronics background helps here. It can
even be argued that if your hearing is real good, you can set a servo up
without a scope.

I'm not to sure it would be a good idea to hook any sound card up to a
CNC controller with the expectation that it will work as a scope. The
potential is to damage the card and possibly the computer, especially if
you don't know what your connecting to.

The desire and ability to use a scope is somewhat related to ones
electronics background. Without a simple understanding of electronics
a scope would be useless, just as a multimeter is with some people.
So if one evaluates ones background and comes up a bit short in
electronics, then a scope should not be considered until boning up on
the subject. On the other hand I've seen mechanics trained to use a
scope to tune a servo drive with success, that however does not mean
that those mechanics "know" how to use a scope.

Thanks
Dave