CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAM generating short lines not G02/G03 curve segments

Posted by Charles Hixon
on 2003-07-24 20:04:12 UTC
Hi Alan, This sounds like a job for one of your linear programming
g-code generator routines. (short program in BASIC or c. based on
circle parameters to generate g-code and replace the segment block)
Charles Hixon

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett KM6VV
<KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> After you've imported the DXF, can't you just redraw the arcs? If
you
> have the center, radius and endpoints, it should be simple. Looks
like
> a lot are full circles. Use one of the short arcs to get the
radius if
> you need it. I recently imported some DXF files (with Vector)
from

http://www.cnckits.com/

> > I've generated the DXF file (which has a whole bunch of stress-
reducing
> > curvey but strictly portions-of-circles cuts), but I'm having
trouble
> > locating a CAM package which translates the DXF file into
portions-of-
> > circles cuts (ie G02/G03).
> >
> > My cnc mill will follow the G02/G03 within 0.000 10 inch but the
CAM
> > programs I've tried (or had my friends try on my DXF) break the
circles down
> > into linear segments about 5-10 thou long. This just doesn't
seem
> > right! Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong CAM programs!
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions (for a better, but affordable
CAM program?).

> > I can program it by hand, probably take me a day or two, but I
thought
> > this would be a good opportunity to settle on a particular CAM
> > program. So far though, no luck.
> >
> > I know of an aftermarket software package called MetaCut
Finish. It will
> > take the already-generated-with-short-lines gcode, analyze that,
and
> > output G02/G03 circular segments http://www.metacut.com/ but
that is
> > an extra step and extra cost I'd like to avoid.
> >
> > regards
> > Doug Fortune
> > http://www.cncKITS.com

Discussion Thread

Doug Fortune 2003-07-24 18:35:24 UTC CAM generating short lines not G02/G03 curve segments John Craddock 2003-07-24 19:02:54 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAM generating short lines not G02/G03 curve segments Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-07-24 19:11:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAM generating short lines not G02/G03 curve segments Charles Hixon 2003-07-24 20:04:12 UTC Re: CAM generating short lines not G02/G03 curve segments Fred Smith 2003-07-24 22:15:30 UTC Re: CAM generating short lines not G02/G03 curve segments Jon Elson 2003-07-24 22:26:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAM generating short lines not G02/G03 curve segments Michael 2003-07-24 23:56:29 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAM generating short lines not G02/G03 curve segments