CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: potential product

Posted by mmurray701
on 2003-08-15 20:43:17 UTC
Sounds interesting. I really like the Gecko servo drives but I have
to say that I think Mariss could have done a better job on the
error/enable pin. This is the only complaint I have about them so
far.

I'd probably buy one. Keep us updated here if you ever decide to go
ahead with this.

Mark

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> Hello, everyone,
>
> I'm working with a local client who has a small milling machine
> with Gecko 320 servo drives. I'm working on how to hook up the
> drives to my Universal Stepper Controller to get the maximum
usefulness
> out of it, and was thinking it gets complicated enough that I might
> want to make boards available to other Gecko 320 users.
>
> Here are the features I'm looking at putting on it :
>
> 1. emergency stop interface to the Gecko fault signal, so it shuts
> down all axes, spindle, coolant, etc. and informs the
computer
> of the E-stop. It would also have tally lights to
remember which
> axis was the one that caused the shutdown. There would be
an
> external connection for one or more E-stop switches on the
machine,
> and accept E-stop from the VFD or other source as well.
(This is
> already in my USC
>
> 2. E-stop control, or even DC power supply switching, to shut
> down and brake the motors from computer control.
>
> 3. encoder relaying by use of opto-isolators from the Gecko
drives to
> the computer, so that EMC becomes a DRO when you hit e-
stop.
> The coordinate system would be preserved, so that when you
> came out of e-stop, the same coordinate reference would be
there.

> Most of this functionality should work with other step/direction
interface
> systems, too, so you wouldn't have to use it with my USC board,
only.

> I'm thinking this board should be able to go for $50 - 75, since
there isn't
> all that much on it. What do you pwople think about such a
product?
> Would you want one?
>
> I'm also thinking about making kits and complete servo driver
systems,
> including power supply, 3 or 4 Gecko 320's, my USC board and the
> board described above, with heat sinks, fans, connector panel, etc.
> I don't have a real good feel for what that should cost, though.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 2003-08-14 10:42:43 UTC potential product Alex 2003-08-14 20:02:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] potential product Jon Elson 2003-08-14 22:40:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] potential product Vince Negrete 2003-08-15 03:37:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] potential product zbushz 2003-08-15 08:25:17 UTC Re: potential product jeffalanp 2003-08-15 09:16:28 UTC Re: potential product Jon Elson 2003-08-15 11:10:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: potential product mmurray701 2003-08-15 20:43:17 UTC Re: potential product