CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: EMC-BDI is not my friend....

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2003-09-14 05:48:41 UTC
Hi Vince.

I cut up your post and Paul's response so badly that I'll mix my comments
into what's left of these.

> From: "Vince Negrete" <vnegrete@...>
> Subject: Re: EMC-BDI is not my friend....
>
> Hi Paul,

<s>
> > BDI-2.xx and BDI-TNG to uses these is NOT a trivial task - There is
> > neither the man power or resources to devote.

The 2.xx series of BDI does have some issues with these all in one boards.
I've never tried the TV stuff but the onboard graphics display will work,
even with 2.04.

> I didnt do any upgrading as it seems they load and operate very
> different from each other. I just wiped the drive and attempted
> another reload each time.
> (Clean Slate...) I am using whats pretty much Plainly available to
> me. I didnt know there was upgrades available anyway? :)
> I'll have to checkout xfree86.org as you mentioned and see if I can get
> lucky.

Never tried this. Sounds way beyond what I want to invest. I'd swap
boards first.

> > > an On-the-Motherboard VIA video) as a Trident Cyberblade/i1 with
> > > resolution
> > > of 1280x1024 and Color Depth of 16bit w/ no 3D Accel. This driver
> > > works great! I wish there was a way of importing it into Redhat 7.2
> > > or any of the versions of EMC, but I cant find it and dont know
> > > what file to configure if I do find it. What would I configure so
> > > that Xconfigurator see's it?

I don't have a 1280 monitor here but 1024 works just fine. I've not seen
a case where the generic cyberblade driver couldn't handle this. With
2.20b I set the frame buffer memory in the bios to 2m rather than the
default 8m. I don't think the stock install handled it well so I had to
but does not like most display drivers. I use custom and all of the
default values except interlaced. Non-Interlaced 1024x768 works on all
three of the Mini ITX EPIA boards that I have here.

> > ... - These motherboards that share main memory with
> > the graphics may not perform as well as expected for _any_ realtime
> > application.

Yes and they do not update the display as well as a dedicated graphics
card but I've not seen any degredation of EMC's motion using them here.
This is the motherboard that I used to run Cardinal's Bridgeport with
BDI-2.16 for the HSM articles. It is the same motherboard that WalMart
put in their el cheapo Lindows machines that both Joe Martin and I used
to develop the Sherline version. (We replaced the Lindows with BDI-2.18)

> Ok, I'll try that... I'm sliding more and more to just put everything
> in my 2Gig system and be done with it. I have a Gforce TI4600 card in
> there. Is that enough 3D power to handling things??? :)

No 3D is required or desired. These are the kinds of display drivers that
will cause issues with the older drivers in 2.xx

> But still if I could get my EPIA 933Mhz board working properly that I
> built for EMC I would be in heaven milling projects very soon.
> Heck, even Jason Cox in Austrailia Outback is getting his done before
> me! I suck... :)

<s>

> Hmmmm, You know... Now that you mention it... I just realized that
> when I was testing it originally EMC was only out on RedHat 6.2. VIA
> Made Linux drivers for RedHat 7.2 and it completely conflicted with the
> older kernel build. Now, BDI-TNG uses 7.2...
> Might be on to something here.... Your a genious! :) I'll get back
> with you on this. Thanks!

With TNG, I've found that the display refresh is even slower. I use 8 bit
graphics here. You'll have to be careful how you set background color on
the desktop but the EMC stuff will work fine because it uses less than 8
bit colors.

Hope this helps

Ray

Discussion Thread

Vince Negrete 2003-09-12 18:50:59 UTC EMC-BDI is not my friend.... Jon Elson 2003-09-12 20:59:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC-BDI is not my friend.... Paul 2003-09-13 05:46:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC-BDI is not my friend.... Vince Negrete 2003-09-13 06:43:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC-BDI is not my friend.... Paul 2003-09-13 07:08:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC-BDI is not my friend.... Jon Elson 2003-09-13 15:00:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC-BDI is not my friend.... Ray Henry 2003-09-14 05:48:41 UTC Re: Re: EMC-BDI is not my friend.... Vince Negrete 2003-09-14 07:28:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: EMC-BDI is not my friend....