CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Router plan made from steel

on 2003-11-08 05:08:36 UTC
Hi Dave,

I looked at the Axxus design you mentioned, very well designed.
I followed your reply regarding design methods for the frame and the rail
system for the router, I couldn't agree more, but as you mentioned I believe
the material for the table frame won't make a big difference if I'm
attaching rails to the frame, but I believe the main issue that remains is
the material for the gantry itself, I think a special design has to be made
for a steel gantry to avoid any kind of beam deflection, specially if we're
talking about a relatively big span for the gantry.

BTW I never got the drawings you promised me, my email is minaf@...

Mina F.

> From: "turbulatordude" <davemucha@...>
> Subject: Re: Router plan made from steel
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mina Aboul Saad"
> <minaf@l...> wrote:
> > I'm thankful for all who replied to my post.
> >
> > Dave, you're absolutely right Steel is much cheaper than Al and
> also Al is
> > not widely available where I come from.
> > The question now is can I take the plans made for an Aluminum made
> router
> > and use Steel instead of Al??
> > I know the machine would be heavier, but would I need to worry about
> > anything else???
> >
> > Mina F.
>
> There are two basic designs. one uses aluminum extrusion as a key
> part of the design for linear rails. the other uses bearings and
> rails attached to the table itself.
>
> For a table of wood/alum/steel and having linear rails attached,
> there is no difference in substance. There is a little difference in
> structure for the support as each material has different properties.
>
> One of the simple and elegant designs I have seen on this site was
> one were a guy used cam bearings. seemed like a very solid design
> and one that should be easy enough to make with simple tools.
>
> Another used Angled bearing surfaces an a flat belt.
>
> And for the bearing surfaces, there are a couple different ways to
> make them. one is to bolt on a steel plate, preferably hardened, to
> the side of the table frame and make sure it is exactly flat. then
> use that to let bearings ride on. presto, linear rail for one
> dimension. put another on the top or bottom of the frame and you
> have a linear rail to prevent side to side movement.
>
> For a plasma cutter, you would needed one on each side of the frame
> to keep the gantry flat and level, and one on one side to keep it
> from slipping side to side.
>

> I'm not sure of who posted the cam bearing unit. But Dean posted
> the `Axxus' machine. Maybe you can get a few ideas from those two
> machines.
>
> http://www.axxustech.com/Axxus4x8/axxus_4x8.htm
>

> and maybe if someone remembers the cam bearing unit, they could post
> a link ?
>
> Dave

Discussion Thread

Mina Aboul Saad 2003-11-06 04:07:13 UTC Router plan made from steel JanRwl@A... 2003-11-06 13:18:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Router plan made from steel David A. Frantz 2003-11-06 17:03:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Router plan made from steel turbulatordude 2003-11-06 20:33:47 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel Mina Aboul Saad 2003-11-07 00:46:28 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel turbulatordude 2003-11-07 07:23:45 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel David A. Frantz 2003-11-07 10:49:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Router plan made from steel turbulatordude 2003-11-07 12:27:04 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel Mina Aboul saad 2003-11-08 05:08:36 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel turbulatordude 2003-11-08 10:44:46 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel Dave Kowalczyk 2003-11-08 11:16:57 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel turbulatordude 2003-11-08 13:19:18 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel- alum vs steel David A. Frantz 2003-11-08 16:25:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Router plan made from steel- alum vs steel turbulatordude 2003-11-08 20:31:52 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel- alum vs steel dakota8833 2003-11-10 05:49:38 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel- alum vs steel