CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Router plan made from steel- alum vs steel

on 2003-11-08 16:25:14 UTC
Hi Everyone;

I'm begining to believe that there are to many guys named Dave
responding to this thread :)

Dave; you do hilight some important points. I look at it this way
Steel can be a fine base for a machine, but it will take more effort to
get the stiffness required based on weight. There is not a huge
difference in cost either once one considers the effort required to keep
the steel frame from flexing. One could always throw a lot of metal
into a steel structure and hope for the best but then costs will sky rocket.

When it comes to off the cuff engineering with steel, with respect to
something like a router table, you best friend will be lots of
triangles. I'm sure this is how many a home grown router is
implemented. For me though I would have more confidence in a
combination of aluminum extrusions and aluminum plate given equal lack
of real mechanical engineering and a fixed budget.

Maybe its me, but you are talking a great deal of effort and resources
required to weld up a steel frame and end up with it striaght, square
and level. Most of the robotic frames, fabricated from welded steel,
that I've seen are usually milled or planed after fabrication. Not
many of us have the resources to do that on a router platform. I could
see where a well designed frame welded up out of steel would be nice,
but I doubt that there is a well designed frame floating about in the
public domain. That is a frame that has been verified through
computer simulation. If there is I'd be the first to give it a serious
look.

The alternative is a design that has been independantly implemented by a
number of people and has field proven itself. This is most likely
what the original poster is looking for.

Thanks
Dave

Discussion Thread

Mina Aboul Saad 2003-11-06 04:07:13 UTC Router plan made from steel JanRwl@A... 2003-11-06 13:18:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Router plan made from steel David A. Frantz 2003-11-06 17:03:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Router plan made from steel turbulatordude 2003-11-06 20:33:47 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel Mina Aboul Saad 2003-11-07 00:46:28 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel turbulatordude 2003-11-07 07:23:45 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel David A. Frantz 2003-11-07 10:49:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Router plan made from steel turbulatordude 2003-11-07 12:27:04 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel Mina Aboul saad 2003-11-08 05:08:36 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel turbulatordude 2003-11-08 10:44:46 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel Dave Kowalczyk 2003-11-08 11:16:57 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel turbulatordude 2003-11-08 13:19:18 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel- alum vs steel David A. Frantz 2003-11-08 16:25:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Router plan made from steel- alum vs steel turbulatordude 2003-11-08 20:31:52 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel- alum vs steel dakota8833 2003-11-10 05:49:38 UTC Re: Router plan made from steel- alum vs steel