CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: emc help

Posted by Greg
on 2004-01-30 17:01:31 UTC
Hello,
I thank you for the intelligent answer.
I have access to equipment that puts out of the normal hobbist range
and have considered using emc as a free front end for a retrofit.
Since it would be legal to do the retrofit and supply the hardware
and give a copy of emc with the machine.
Regards,
Greg
-- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> [...]
probably run
> a 5 KHz update rate, and allow enough time for other tasks in the
> non-realtime
> section. A 333 MHz Pentium II does it in 50 uS, so even that
pretty old
> CPU could do 10 KHz updates well. Eventually you hit the wall on
the
> parallel port, and the CPU can't push bytes any faster. I think
that would
> hit at about a 20 or possibly 25 KHz update rate.
>
> A PCI board would likely be able to close the servo loop at 50 KHz
or
> better. Up in that neighborhood you start getting into the realm of
> DSPs that can bypass all the folderol of OS's, memory management
> and complicated bus-bus bridges, and turn around an I/O read request
> in under 100 nS.
>
> >So the realistic rate cannot be 999ipm ,especially with the
> >limit of .0001 resoulution or 10000 counts an inch.
> >At 400 ipm or 6.6666 ips is equal to 66khz of encoder,which makes
> >800ipm a max for a standard 150khz encoder(assuming a little head
> >room)
> >

> Well, now, we weren't talking about encoders, we were talking about
the
> software. If you NEED to go faster, you need faster encoders. My
boards
> have a very artificial limit of about 300,000 counts/second imposed
by
> the digital filtering of the encoder signals. That seemed to be a
> reasonable
> limit for the application.
>

> >Then there is the case of how fast the processor can close the
> >servo loop,which become even harder with each additional axis.
> >Which is why i asked what the limit is when you make a multiple
axis
> >translation.
> >
> >Then we come to the case of point to point moves ,Or high speed
> >contouring,This is even a worse strain for the processor as you
have
> >trajectory changes every few thousandths(determined by your step
> >distance and step over),All this will bring most cnc's to there
knees
> >long before 400ipm(i have had fanuc's programmed at 999ipm with
the
> >overide at 200% that couldnt go 50 ipm).
> >Not mention the accell/deaccell limits of the motors and drives.
> >

> Yes, in the hobby world, talking about much over 100 IPM is just
blather.
> It takes REALLY expensive drives to make a metal-cutting machine
> move at the rates modern commercial CNC equipment do.
>
> >So i ask yet again what is the max realistic feed rate that Emc
will
> >support for the following:
> >1 a simple one axis move
> >2 a 3 axis move
> >3 a point to point contour move
> >

> Well, I really can't tell you. I USE a milling machine driven by
EMC,
> and I know what the performance of the servo drives is pretty
accurately,
> and EMC has no problem driving this machine to its limits. But,
that is
> NOT much, because it is a Bridgeport with relatively wimpy servos
> (1/8 Hp continuous, about 1/2 Hp peak). This is entirely adequate
for what
> I do, but others may need more performance. I am completely
confident
> that EMC will perform well up to 100 IPM no matter what you throw
> at it. Others have reported some serious problems with the
lookahead
> of the trajectory planner when you try to runa router at 400 IPM.
There
> is an advanced trajectory planner that was developed a few years
ago that
> should fix these problems, but it has a pesky software bug that
causes it
> to hang in certain cases. Experts are looking into it, but haven't
> found the
> problem yet.
>
> I still believe that extremely high feedrates can be controlled
accurately
> by EMC, but the trajectory planners suffer from some problems with
> high feedrates for extended periods. It is not a case of the
machine
> running with large errors or slowing down, it is a case of the
machine
> suddenly jerking to a stop. The old scheme just couldn't keep up,
the new
> one hangs due to that bug. My understanding is that the new planner
> can handle extended runs, like tens of thousands of blocks of G-code
> at 400 IPM, as long as you don't set up the conditions that trigger
the
> thing to hang. I think it is Les Newell that has the router
running at 400
> IPM, but I'm not absolutely sure that is the right name.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Greg 2004-01-28 17:24:22 UTC emc help Jon Elson 2004-01-28 21:24:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] emc help Greg 2004-01-28 22:04:55 UTC Re: emc help Jon Elson 2004-01-29 08:37:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-29 20:42:08 UTC Re: emc help Jon Elson 2004-01-29 21:45:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-29 23:29:53 UTC Re: emc help Jon Elson 2004-01-30 10:23:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help Ray Henry 2004-01-30 11:19:41 UTC Re: Re: Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-30 17:01:31 UTC Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-30 17:07:47 UTC Re: emc help Ray Henry 2004-01-31 08:26:59 UTC Re: Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-31 10:48:14 UTC Re: emc help Robin Szemeti 2004-01-31 12:31:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help Roy J. Tellason 2004-01-31 12:55:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-31 16:29:22 UTC Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-31 16:36:05 UTC Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-31 17:39:35 UTC Re: emc help Ray Henry 2004-01-31 18:06:30 UTC Re: Re: emc help Dale Emery 2004-01-31 19:43:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help Jon Elson 2004-01-31 20:47:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-31 22:12:07 UTC Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-31 22:52:16 UTC Re: emc help