CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: emc help

Posted by Greg
on 2004-01-31 22:52:16 UTC
Hello,
Great we got some of the dissagreements out of the way.

When I mentioned the galil board,I was just using it for comparison
of capabilty and input freq .
My present idea is to apply emc and some hardware to low cost
retrofits.
For 2 reason one to reduce cost and complexity and B to get some
money back into the emc development effort and hopefully get things
moving.( think about it emc has been around for longer than some
controls life cycle and it just now starting to get know and popular)

But your right why build a board to handle 2,10 ,12 mhz for encoders
and not have an encoder that was even close.

As to running 700+ipm with a .0001 resolution use a scale or mount
the encoder in such a way that it sees less rpms.
High counts make for a tight control loop but lets not over do it.
Most high speed machines uses scales,by high speed I mean over 400ipm
cutting speed.
Want to be scared cut aluminum at 1600ipm on a new program,We
calculated that if you hit the estop that it would take 6 inchs for
the machine to stop.
Delta V rocket monilithic ring 4"x 4" x2" deep pocket 6 sec

The absoulte encoders have several more channel than a standard
incremental encoder so they would be able to have a lot more counts
per sec .

I happen to like the step/dir system even though it is speed limited,
A 40amp rutex drive and a 2hp servo motor and away you go.
I have talk to him about a bigger one but there still in the design
stage.

I almost afraid to ask what a million count per rev encoder would
cost,the 18000 count i just bought was over 3k$.

Also if you want to go 700ipm i would watch your max ball screw
speed,as i have been warned by several mechanical engineers not to
exceed 1000 rpm.

Regards,
Greg
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Henry <rehenry@u...>
wrote:

> > From: "Greg" <gkretro@e...>
> > Subject: Re: emc help
> >
> > HEllo,
> > I personally dont use the stg board i like galil boards much
> > better,better specs,bullet proof design,and overnight repair
> > capability if needed.
>
> OK. I don't mind Galil but they are in no way similar to the STG.
Whole
> [...]
easily
> within your judgment of the STG read speed but well above what you
think
> is possible from a common incremental encoder.
>
> My last wonder is why would a company like STG build a card and
report
> that it will read 10MHz if they knew that there were no pulse
coders out
> there that could come even close to that speed?
>
> > My comment about the parallel was not against jon and his pico
system
> > but in reference to step and dirrection signals,where you are max
freq
> > limited.
> > With pico system the parallel port is just a communictaion port
> > passing the desired speed,position,etc to controller/drive.
>
> We agree on that.
>
> Let's try to put this encoder issue back into some sort of
perspective.
> First thank you for pointing out that the pulse rate of encoders is
in
> fact limited -- as are the input counters of encoder reader boards.
> Clearly we'd better read the spec sheets before we apply a device
that
> doesn't work like we might imagine it should.
>
> If we are using a common parallel port for step and direction
signals,
> let's say we are limited to something like 50K. Now one way that
we
> (EMC) would use an encoder with common step and direction signals
from a
> parport is with the KM DRO card. As long as the number of pulses
per
> rotation of the encoder is not more than 10 or so times the number
of
> pulses required for a rotation of the stepper it should be
copacetic.
> And reading the pulse rate should be no problem because the chips
used on
> that card say that they can also go out to 10MHz.
>
> A second way of using common step and direction signals and
encoders would
> be a Gecko 3xx or Rutex drive and a servo motor. Here again a
parport
> will be the limiting factor unless you are using a +10 multiplier
and/or
> a very high count encoder. Since the absolute max pulse input for
> Gecko is 250K (25K at the +10 multiple) we should still be within
the
> limits that you want to impose on encoders. It would be rather
easier to
> violate your max encoder stuff if we were using Jon's step
generator
> card.
>
> In point of fact, the only place where higher pulse rates than your
~300K
> might be commonly encountered would be a true servo driven system.
It is
> in these applications IMO that a proper understanding of specs
becomes
> critical. There are many servo motors out there that run 4-6K
RPM. An
> inexpensive 2500 count encoder like those from automationdirect.com
might
> easily run past it's max pulse count if directly connected to one
of
> these motors.
>
> Ray

Discussion Thread

Greg 2004-01-28 17:24:22 UTC emc help Jon Elson 2004-01-28 21:24:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] emc help Greg 2004-01-28 22:04:55 UTC Re: emc help Jon Elson 2004-01-29 08:37:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-29 20:42:08 UTC Re: emc help Jon Elson 2004-01-29 21:45:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-29 23:29:53 UTC Re: emc help Jon Elson 2004-01-30 10:23:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help Ray Henry 2004-01-30 11:19:41 UTC Re: Re: Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-30 17:01:31 UTC Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-30 17:07:47 UTC Re: emc help Ray Henry 2004-01-31 08:26:59 UTC Re: Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-31 10:48:14 UTC Re: emc help Robin Szemeti 2004-01-31 12:31:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help Roy J. Tellason 2004-01-31 12:55:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-31 16:29:22 UTC Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-31 16:36:05 UTC Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-31 17:39:35 UTC Re: emc help Ray Henry 2004-01-31 18:06:30 UTC Re: Re: emc help Dale Emery 2004-01-31 19:43:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: emc help Jon Elson 2004-01-31 20:47:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-31 22:12:07 UTC Re: emc help Greg 2004-01-31 22:52:16 UTC Re: emc help