CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: replacing anilam crusader II control

Posted by Jim H
on 2004-02-24 07:13:50 UTC
Metl

I just got this machine and controller off of ebay back before
christmas. While the control had been checked by a east coast anilam
repair shop they hadn't tested the upload download ports. So I am
starting from scratch. I bought the cable and ends from Shopfloor
automations, Greg there has been real helpful. But a dog chewed the
end off the cable and I had to have it repaired with a new
connector. Problem is for Greg, they like to start by getting the
download (recorder) port working to find the protocols then go on to
however on this box the upload port shows not lights at all on the
com port tester so it is expected to be dead. The item is still
active on ebay its #2572650115. Its just been a ton of fun. The first
3-ph converter was lost in shipping by Fed-X. I now have the
replacement wired up and power on the spindle. But the hope of
generating g-code programs using rhino and visual mill is going up
with the broken port.
The idea of hand poking in a 600 block program into the controller
and then going through the fun of debugging is not to appealing.
I have experiance operating several types of conventional and NC
machines. But now days I write programs for them using Catia MFGProg
for a one time large aerospace company in the northwest. Hint: starts
with a B. But like a snake swallowing its tail, they are getting
smaller.

Thanks
Jim H.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "metlmunchr"
<metlmunchr@y...> wrote:
> Jim, in reading your posts I havent seen you mention if this is a
> control you've just acquired or if everything was working fine and
> has just quit. If you haven't uploaded to the anilam in the past,
> theres always the possibility that the comm protocols are set
> different on the computer than whats required for the control (i.e.
> data bits, stop bits, parity, etc) since generally if you look at 5
> commercial controls, there will be at least 4 different
> requirements. Also, as Roy mentioned, many CNC controls require
> some modification of a standard serial cable to correspond with the
> way the connector is wired at the control. A bit more background
> along this line might help get you the answers you need, or at
least
> help you nail down the location of the problem. I fooled around
> with the 232 port on a 3000 okuma control in the same manner you
> describe for a week, and it was a matter of cable connection and
> protocol. Nothing at all wrong with the board, but until
everything
> is right, they just wont do a damn thing.
>
> Cliff
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Roy J. Tellason"
> <rtellason@b...> wrote:
> > On Sunday 22 February 2004 08:58 pm, Jim H wrote:
> > > Roy
> > >
> > > Well I got time to try some more tests. As before when the
com
> > > port tester is hooked up to the in-port (rs232) on the anilam
> > > controller, the RD and DSR lights are on. Then when hooked up
> > > only the Pc's cable from com port1 only the RD light is on, red.
> >
> > If you've got the same light on at both ends then that means that
> you've got
> > outputs at both ends, trying to drive that wire...
> >
> > Did this setup work with the cable you're using now? If not, the
> cable wiring
> > may be part of your problem, a lot of times signals are crossed
> over.
> >
> > > When I use the windows program ComEdit to upload a short (4
line)
> > > program the single light changes to orange (red and green
> blinking.
> >
> > This suggests that the port is working, but no other lights
> suggest that the
> > wires aren't coming through for the other signals. They may
> instead be
> > looped back at the connector end of the cable.
> >
> > Is this one of those cables where you can open up the ends by
> removing the
> > connector shells? Might be worth a look...
> >
> > > Several attempts to upload using the cable connected through
the
> com
> > > port tester to the controller meet with failure.
> >
> > Not if you've got two outputs tied together, that's not gonna
> work. :-)
> >
> > > I had the control out of the housing last week and looked at
> the
> > > cable connections from the power supply, cards and ports. But
> saw
> > > nothing that looked particularly wrong (cooked cracked
broken).
> The
> > > connection from the in-port to the card is made with a wide
> ribbon
> > > wire so its hard to tell which connections are being made. Even
> > > testing the connection was stopped by the fact my voltmeter
pins
> are
> > > to large to fit into the rs232 port..
> >
> > A bit of wire can help that.

Discussion Thread

Jim H 2004-02-16 10:52:22 UTC replacing anilam crusader II control Larry Ragan 2004-02-16 11:11:38 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] replacing anilam crusader II control Roy J. Tellason 2004-02-16 12:34:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] replacing anilam crusader II control Jim H 2004-02-18 18:50:46 UTC Re: replacing anilam crusader II control Jim H 2004-02-18 18:50:51 UTC Re: replacing anilam crusader II control Roy J. Tellason 2004-02-18 21:14:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: replacing anilam crusader II control Larry Ragan 2004-02-19 08:20:02 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: replacing anilam crusader II control Jim H 2004-02-20 18:50:39 UTC Re: replacing anilam crusader II control Roy J. Tellason 2004-02-20 20:45:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: replacing anilam crusader II control Jim H 2004-02-22 22:00:59 UTC Re: replacing anilam crusader II control Roy J. Tellason 2004-02-23 11:13:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: replacing anilam crusader II control metlmunchr 2004-02-23 11:58:27 UTC Re: replacing anilam crusader II control Jim H 2004-02-24 07:13:50 UTC Re: replacing anilam crusader II control Jim H 2004-02-25 07:46:23 UTC Re: replacing anilam crusader II control Harvey White 2004-02-25 08:48:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: replacing anilam crusader II control metlmunchr 2004-02-25 13:29:58 UTC Re: replacing anilam crusader II control