CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I want to cry !!! another fried Gecko + very, very hot motor,

Mike Mueller wrote:

>used my mill last night for a few minutes, I made a few very light
>cuts, then the machine sat idle for about 30 minutes, I entered a
>command and nothing happened, I touched the motor (X is the only axis
>hooked up right now) and i burnt myself.....fuse blown as well.
>
>I plugged the wires into a new motor and the trip light immediatly
>glowed red.(new fuse)
>
>What am I doing wrong? Is it a setting on the computer that is
>causing the motor to overheat? Once the motor overheats, does it fry
>the Gecko(s) (340)?? my Y gecko wouldn't work as well
>
>who can i send the powersupply w/geckos, motors and computer to
>troubleshoot? I'm about ready to give up !!!!!!

What is your nominal supply voltage? If too close to 80 V, that could
be the reason. Do your motors whine or "chatter" when at idle?
That could be the cause. Did you "tune" the servos as recommended in
the Gecko instructions? Do you have heat sinks on the Geckos, and do
they stay cool in operation?

I could probably take a look at this for you. I have a client in town who
had his gecko burn up, and nearly fry a motor, too. The motor seems to
work OK, but it smells bad, especially if you warm it up even a little.

If the motor gets hot enough to ground out the brushes or windings, then
it will fry the Gecko real quick. Did the machine ram into the limit of
travel when it died?

The computer is VERY unlikely to be the culprit. There's nothing it
can do that would not cause movement first.

Mike Mueller 2004-03-11 13:31:21 UTC I want to cry !!! another fried Gecko + very, very hot motor, caudlet 2004-03-11 17:39:05 UTC Re: I want to cry !!! another fried Gecko + very, very hot motor, Dave Fisher 2004-03-11 17:40:19 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I want to cry !!! another fried Gecko + very, very hot motor, Jon Elson 2004-03-11 19:46:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I want to cry !!! another fried Gecko + very, very hot motor, Jon Elson 2004-03-11 19:59:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I want to cry !!! another fried Gecko + very, very hot motor, Mike Mueller 2004-03-12 11:58:16 UTC Re: I want to cry !!! another fried Gecko + very, very hot motor,