CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Here we go again - more trouble

Posted by washcomp
on 2004-10-20 06:46:35 UTC
Keith:

I picked up this part of the thread rather late so I appologize if
someone has suggested this before:

The problem with troubleshooting a complete system is that a problem
with one part often affects other components making the finding of
the bug difficult.

Try to break the system in half (thirds?). The problem is either
with the motor or the drive or the wiring harness. We'll assume for
now that your drive is good (it's new after all) - oh hell, lets test
it anyway. Tie the drive to a known working motor and see if all is
as expected. OK, now we know it's OK. Test the windings of the
motor for expected resistance as compared to your good motor
(assuming they are identicle). If the resistance you get is too
small to accurately measure, tie the coils in series and measure
across all of them. If this doesn't work (reading still too small),
take a battery and put the windings across it in series and measure
the voltage across each winding. They should be the same (ohm's law
and all that). If this all checks out then the motor should be OK.

If the motor is OK and the drive is OK, that leaves your wiring. I'm
not sure how you made up the harness, but likely there's some issue
(broken wire, shorted wire, mis-labled wire etc.).

Might want to check wiring to the fuse holder from the power supply
and the fuse/fuse holder while you're at it as long as everything is
disassembled anyway. It's consivable that the issue is there :-)

Hope this helps,
Jeff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Clark" <mail@t...>
wrote:

> I thought that the voltage reading across the open fuse holder
> suggested a problem and did not know that that was normal. At any
> rate, I disconnected the motor and still found the same voltage
> reading across the open fuse holder. So at that point I reasoned
> that there must be something wrong with the connector from the
Gecko
> and replaced it. Then the reading across the fuse holder went to
> zero! However, this was done without the capacitor installed
across
> terminals 1 and 2. Does it seem possible that the connector could
be
> bad? I did not see any stray strands of wire and could not measure
> any shorts between the terminals of the connector. Possibly the
> capacitor in place makes a difference? I did replace the capacitor.
>
> Thanks
> Keith Clark

Discussion Thread

Keith Clark 2004-10-19 20:29:08 UTC Here we go again - more trouble Jon Elson 2004-10-19 22:54:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Here we go again - more trouble Keith Clark 2004-10-20 03:34:16 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble Keith Clark 2004-10-20 06:06:52 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble washcomp 2004-10-20 06:46:35 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble Andy Wander 2004-10-20 06:57:56 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Here we go again - more trouble Keith Clark 2004-10-20 07:24:08 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble Keith Clark 2004-10-20 07:25:48 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble Keith Clark 2004-10-20 10:17:19 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble -FIXED washcomp 2004-10-20 10:23:45 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble -FIXED Keith Clark 2004-10-20 11:38:34 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble -FIXED