CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Here we go again - more trouble

Posted by Andy Wander
on 2004-10-20 06:57:56 UTC
And I will chime in, too.

Disconnect the motor from a known good drive, take the fuse out on that
drive, and see if you still get voltage across THAT fuse holder.

Most people don't realize that in a circuit, if you "open" the circuit, and
current stops flowing, you will measure the entire power supply voltage
across the "opening". This is easily seen by applying Kirchoff's law, when
you will see that with no current flowing(open circuit) there will be no
voltage drop across any of the things that usually drop voltage(by I*R), so
the entire Supply voltage must be "dropped" across the open circuit.

This is why switching the Neutral instead of the Hot in AC power wiring is
not a good idea, with the switch in the Neutral line, there will bo one
White wire on the switch that is at 120VAC(or whatever your color code/line
voltage is). Most people look at a white wire as "safe to touch", but in
this instance it would not be safe.

Andy Wander
Verrex Corporation