CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Here we go again - more trouble

Posted by Keith Clark
on 2004-10-20 07:24:08 UTC
Thanks Jeff. It's hell being an electronic illiterate! AT lunchtime
I will delve into it some more with your suggestions.

Keith Clark

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "washcomp" <jeff@w...> wrote:

> Keith:
>
> I picked up this part of the thread rather late so I appologize if
> someone has suggested this before:
>
> The problem with troubleshooting a complete system is that a
problem
> with one part often affects other components making the finding of
> the bug difficult.
>
> Try to break the system in half (thirds?). The problem is either
> with the motor or the drive or the wiring harness. We'll assume
for
> now that your drive is good (it's new after all) - oh hell, lets
test
> it anyway. Tie the drive to a known working motor and see if all
is
> as expected. OK, now we know it's OK. Test the windings of the
> motor for expected resistance as compared to your good motor
> (assuming they are identicle). If the resistance you get is too
> small to accurately measure, tie the coils in series and measure
> across all of them. If this doesn't work (reading still too
small),
> take a battery and put the windings across it in series and measure
> the voltage across each winding. They should be the same (ohm's
law
> and all that). If this all checks out then the motor should be OK.
>
> If the motor is OK and the drive is OK, that leaves your wiring.
I'm
> not sure how you made up the harness, but likely there's some issue
> (broken wire, shorted wire, mis-labled wire etc.).
>
> Might want to check wiring to the fuse holder from the power supply
> and the fuse/fuse holder while you're at it as long as everything
is
> disassembled anyway. It's consivable that the issue is there :-)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jeff
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Clark" <mail@t...>
> wrote:
> >
> > I thought that the voltage reading across the open fuse holder
> > suggested a problem and did not know that that was normal. At
any
> > rate, I disconnected the motor and still found the same voltage
> > reading across the open fuse holder. So at that point I reasoned
> > that there must be something wrong with the connector from the
> Gecko
> > and replaced it. Then the reading across the fuse holder went to
> > zero! However, this was done without the capacitor installed
> across
> > terminals 1 and 2. Does it seem possible that the connector
could
> be
> > bad? I did not see any stray strands of wire and could not
measure
> > any shorts between the terminals of the connector. Possibly the
> > capacitor in place makes a difference? I did replace the
capacitor.

> > Thanks
> > Keith Clark

Discussion Thread

Keith Clark 2004-10-19 20:29:08 UTC Here we go again - more trouble Jon Elson 2004-10-19 22:54:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Here we go again - more trouble Keith Clark 2004-10-20 03:34:16 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble Keith Clark 2004-10-20 06:06:52 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble washcomp 2004-10-20 06:46:35 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble Andy Wander 2004-10-20 06:57:56 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Here we go again - more trouble Keith Clark 2004-10-20 07:24:08 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble Keith Clark 2004-10-20 07:25:48 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble Keith Clark 2004-10-20 10:17:19 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble -FIXED washcomp 2004-10-20 10:23:45 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble -FIXED Keith Clark 2004-10-20 11:38:34 UTC Re: Here we go again - more trouble -FIXED