CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment

Posted by John Heritage
on 2004-11-11 06:38:34 UTC
I'm with your on 'their'! :^) I write my emails, and then read over them
two or three times, and still manage to make mistakes.

I have actually been moochooing around on CNCzone for a while now. I've
asked a couple of guys about the cost of their projects and whether or not
they've seen a return, but I haven't heard a lot back. Only one so far has
mentioned that he can find work for his plasma table to do and that it's due
to a reputation he has built up.

I live in a very industrialised area in England, there are tens and tens of
metal working shops within half an hour's drive from my house. I was hoping
this might give me a chance to send out tens of leaflets offering a
subcontracting option to them.

My worry is that, say with milling, you are competing with huge industrial
machining centres, and with services like plasma cutting, industrial laser
tables that can anhilate a piece of work in five seconds flat. I'm just
wondering if there is actually a window for a home scaled service there.

The only way to know for sure is to give it a try, but I thought I'd try to
collect some more opinions on the idea before spending any money. Besides
which, our garage has reached the end of it's life span and is scheduled for
imminent destruction. It leaks like a sieve, and in England, that's a
problem.

So I have a couple of months where I can't actually start thinking about
buying solid parts, because they'll be no where for them to go for a while
yet. That's quite a good thing, because it'll stop me making some of the
more stupid mistakes I'm best at!

Best wishes,
John

> ooops... in that last post:
> substitute there for their...geesh
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Bloy2004" <jmnotions@c...>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi John,
>> I haven't made any money yet, but once word got around in this
>> small community that I had a machine, I got many questions
> directed
>> to me such as..."can you make this for me?"....especially from
>> relatives :) I'm a woodworker (the machine is for metal) so my
> time
>> is spent getting wood projects out the door.
>> You could also try:
>> www.cnczone.com
>> Many their will reply with ways they have made money from their
> home-
>> made machine investments.
>>
>> Bloy
>>
>> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "John Heritage"
>> <john.heritage@v...> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I wanted to ask how many of the members have been sucessful in
>> making some money, or a living, back from their interest in CNC.
>> >
>> > CNC and physical productivity has always been something that's
>> really interested me and I'd like to be able to do something that
>> enjoy as a job. However, I'm a bit unsure of just how achievable
>> this is when looking towards the competition.
>> >
>> > To keep this thread within the bounds of CCED, I mean CNC
>> equipment that can realistically be owned by a home user. That
>> doesn't require 50MW for the spindle alone, cost a million dollars
>> or require a degree in mathematics to run. Rather plasma tables,
>> converted knee mills, desktop mills and such.
>> >
>> > What makes me wonder is that the highest earning work is being
>> done on machines tens of times quicker and stronger than something
>> like a converted knee mill.
>> >
>> > So, I'd be really interest to hear if anyone has managed to
> turn
>> CNC at home into something they can make something back from.
>> >
>> > Best wishes,
>> > John

> timg@...
> Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
> [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it
> if you have trouble.

> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for
> OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

John Heritage 2004-11-11 05:19:27 UTC Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment Bloy2004 2004-11-11 05:34:44 UTC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment Bloy2004 2004-11-11 05:39:20 UTC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment John Heritage 2004-11-11 06:38:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment Jon Elson 2004-11-11 07:56:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment turbulatordude 2004-11-11 08:56:48 UTC OFF TOPIC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment lcdpublishing 2004-11-11 09:02:33 UTC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment caudlet 2004-11-11 09:05:23 UTC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment caudlet 2004-11-11 09:25:14 UTC TOPIC CHANGE: Not making money (etc)..... Andrew Dubinsky 2004-11-11 17:57:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment turbulatordude 2004-11-11 18:34:40 UTC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment shibiwan 2004-11-11 20:51:03 UTC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment JanRwl@A... 2004-11-11 22:14:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment