CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment

Posted by lcdpublishing
on 2004-11-11 09:02:33 UTC
Hi JOhn,

For what this is worth....

I have spent the last 15 years of my life making "work" out of my
hobbies. I can tell you first hand that what was once fun, is now
work. This is not to say it's bad, it is just not as fun as
I "Dreamed" it would be.

Schedules, deadlines, quality control, complaints, etc., that make a
regular job tough, also exists in self employment.

Whether or not you can make money doing it depends primarily on how
well you can sell your service. Selling the service is where you
will have to spend most of your time and effort. This is also a
very difficult aspect of running your business.

There are many many many shops that started in the garage and
blossemed into big companies. For example, Delta Woodworking
machines started out in a garage in Milwaukee and is now one of the
biggest woodworking tool companies in the world.

Just prepare yourself mentally for the challanges ahead. Don't
expect the "Work" to be fun and happy for many years, the joy starts
to wear off when deadlines keep pushing you harder and harder.

Chris

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "John Heritage"
<john.heritage@v...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to ask how many of the members have been sucessful in
making some money, or a living, back from their interest in CNC.

> CNC and physical productivity has always been something that's
really interested me and I'd like to be able to do something that I
enjoy as a job. However, I'm a bit unsure of just how achievable
this is when looking towards the competition.

> To keep this thread within the bounds of CCED, I mean CNC
equipment that can realistically be owned by a home user. That
doesn't require 50MW for the spindle alone, cost a million dollars
or require a degree in mathematics to run. Rather plasma tables,
converted knee mills, desktop mills and such.

> What makes me wonder is that the highest earning work is being
done on machines tens of times quicker and stronger than something
like a converted knee mill.

> So, I'd be really interest to hear if anyone has managed to turn
CNC at home into something they can make something back from.

> Best wishes,
> John

John Heritage 2004-11-11 05:19:27 UTC Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment Bloy2004 2004-11-11 05:34:44 UTC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment Bloy2004 2004-11-11 05:39:20 UTC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment John Heritage 2004-11-11 06:38:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment Jon Elson 2004-11-11 07:56:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment turbulatordude 2004-11-11 08:56:48 UTC OFF TOPIC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment lcdpublishing 2004-11-11 09:02:33 UTC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment caudlet 2004-11-11 09:05:23 UTC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment caudlet 2004-11-11 09:25:14 UTC TOPIC CHANGE: Not making money (etc)..... Andrew Dubinsky 2004-11-11 17:57:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment turbulatordude 2004-11-11 18:34:40 UTC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment shibiwan 2004-11-11 20:51:03 UTC Re: Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment JanRwl@A... 2004-11-11 22:14:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Making money from CNC - in a home enviroment