CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper to servo transition

Posted by Les Newell
on 2004-11-13 15:04:41 UTC
Hi Bruce,

Those are some really interesting projects.

There are two main advantages to full servo control:

1) The controller always knows exactly where the machine is, even after
a tool crash or emergency stop. If the machine has home switches of some
sort then this does not really matter anyway

2) An intelligent controller can dynamically vary the amount of
following error allowed depending on the type of move. For instance when
making a rapid move accuracy is not important so you can allow a large
following error. This is handy if you want to wring every last bit of
performance out of the machine but not that important otherwise.

For your application I doubt if either of these are important. If you
are happy with your existing step/dir software then I would suggest that
you stick with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it :-)

Les