CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Servos drivers + THC

Posted by John Heritage
on 2004-11-16 19:10:12 UTC
Thanks again Tom,

I had just finished reading the Gecko manual when I read about the THC and
I remembered the manual mentioning the 5V reference used for the encoder's
output. When the steps fall out of sync with the command input, they produce
a slight voltage change from the 5V reference, making the amplifier force
the servo into correction.

This made me think that perhaps a THC could implement the torch's own
voltage as a kind of encoder. The voltage would be fractionalised to
something reasonable, such that, like an encoder, a change in height
produced a change in the reference voltage being sent back to the
amplifier - rather than up and down commands to the software.

So, say the torch moves slightly too high, the THC's reference 5V would
move up slight, causing the amplifier to try and correct for mistake.

But anyway! Just ramblings from someone who regularly traps his fingers in
things!

I have a copy of the Mach2 demo on my PC now and I prefer to use Corel
also, so perhaps I'm not too far off. SheetCam looks like my next goal.

What are you using for your plasma source? I was thinking of a Hypertherm
Powermax 600 of 1000. They seem cheaper than Miller and ESAB don't produce
many single phase machine here in England.

I have a lot of spare time to think about my design while I'm waiting for
our garage to be knocked down and rebuilt. Any picture of your table would
be great!

Best wishes,
John