CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Suggested velcotity params for servos?

on 2004-12-20 15:18:06 UTC
At 05:08 PM 12/20/2004, you wrote:

>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "AbbyKatt" <cnc@a...> wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend velocity params for servos? I've got the big-
>big
> > servo motors from Dan Mauch's site (I can't remember which ones they
> > were, but they cost $199/each) and I'm running these with geckos at
>60v
> > in a 1/3 timing belt setup on my mill/drill. I'm running with
>TurboCNC
> >
> > My max reliable (without faulting) speed is 35Khz
> > That's pretty easy to guage.. But I was wondering about the starting
> > frequency and acceleration?
> > I know steppers can have a high start frequency, since they
>effectively
> > "hop" to the first position with a high torque, but what about
>servos?
> >
> > I'm really not sure here.. Any good way to derermine?
> > I'm worried that I'll be accelerating too fast, or starting too
>fast and
> > sacrificing accuracy as the servo lags behind just far enough not to
> > affect the signed 8-bit lock (128+- count) of the servo. But at the
>same
> > time, I don't want to enter 0 as the start rate if I can do better.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Good ways to check (without a DSO?)
> > Thanks!
> > ~Abby
>
>Setting up your parameters is a very important step in ensuring
>operation without step loss.
>It is however a lengthy process covering several days of retesting.
>
>Start out with your Max Pulse rates.
>Set your Acceleration to a very conservative setting when testing.
>A very noticable Acceleration setting that will ensure the motor
>wont be inhibited by this maybe 2-4 seconds to reach top speed should
>be fine.
>Program long enough moves for testing so top speed can be reached.
>Now increase the Max Pulse rate for the axses untill you get into a
>stall condition. Reduce the setting about 10 percent.
>Repeat with all axes and keep notes of the settings you come up with.
>
>After the Max Pulse rates for all Axses are established test with all
>axes moving together at max rates.
>May add some weight to the table to simulate a load.
>Note when 2 Axses of same resolution are moving a 45 degree angle
>may be programed to ensure both run at Max capacity.
>You may need to ajust your Max Pulse rate down again for this test
>because your Powersupply will likely not be able to provide the same
>amount of current when all motors are running.
>The last phase of this test has to happen first thing in the morning.
>You want to repeat this test after the machine has cooled of and the
>oil in the slides has thickened overnight because this will add to the
>resistance of the slides to move.
>If your machine passes the test your parameters should be fine else
>reduce and try again the next day.
>
>Now you can begin setting Acceleration deceleration.
> [...]

I am going to jump in here with an addition to what Torsten has said.
That deals with the START velocity of your servos. I originally set mine up
with the maximum start that I could get reliably.
Big servos can tolerate a big start velocity (ask me how I know:}); but
much to my horror, I had a project that required the use of 1/8" end mills
and every time I started a cut, it would break the mill off! I finally
figured out that my start velocity was to great and it was actually jumping
and then slowing down. Also, buy slowing down the start speed, I was able
to increase acceleration.

Just food for thought.

Bubba

OLDER THAN DIRT
Country Bubba
(Actually the inventor of Country and Bubba)
In God We Trust

LaGrange, GA

http://bellsouthpwp.net/A/r/Arts_home_page/cnc/

Ron Ginger 2004-12-20 06:46:40 UTC Wood Router clearing chips caudlet 2004-12-20 08:25:37 UTC Re: Wood Router clearing chips turbulatordude 2004-12-20 08:32:28 UTC Re: Wood Router clearing chips John Meissner 2004-12-20 08:35:21 UTC Re: Wood Router clearing chips Amaury Jacquot 2004-12-20 09:14:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Wood Router clearing chips turbulatordude 2004-12-20 10:00:38 UTC Re: Wood Router clearing chips AbbyKatt 2004-12-20 10:59:03 UTC Suggested velcotity params for servos? R Rogers 2004-12-20 11:42:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Suggested velcotity params for servos? Les Newell 2004-12-20 13:16:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Suggested velcotity params for servos? Torsten 2004-12-20 14:08:58 UTC Re: Suggested velcotity params for servos? A. G. Eckstein 2004-12-20 15:18:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Suggested velcotity params for servos? JanRwl@A... 2004-12-20 19:39:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Wood Router clearing chips David A. Frantz 2004-12-20 19:54:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Wood Router clearing chips salsaman59@s... 2004-12-21 00:23:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Wood Router clearing chips Ron Kline 2004-12-22 16:38:35 UTC Delagrange Technology LLC ?? R Rogers 2004-12-22 18:00:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Delagrange Technology LLC ?? Ron Kline 2004-12-22 18:22:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Delagrange Technology LLC ?? Bob McKnight 2004-12-26 10:54:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Wood Router clearing chips Torsten 2004-12-26 22:29:01 UTC Re: Wood Router clearing chips turbulatordude 2004-12-27 06:11:14 UTC Re: Wood Router clearing chips doug98105 2004-12-27 08:37:59 UTC Re: Wood Router clearing chips Ron Ginger 2004-12-27 19:23:33 UTC Re: Wood Router clearing chips JanRwl@A... 2004-12-27 22:45:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Wood Router clearing chips