CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Aussie Members

Posted by Tom Hubin
on 2005-01-24 07:16:34 UTC
Hello,

Speaking of speed and acceleration, either one too high can make you
lose steps.

Set your acceleration low until you find the upper limit on velocity.
Use a run of several inches to test velocity. Let it accelerate for the
first inch or more so that acceleration is not taxing the motors. If the
acceleration is low you can hear it ramp up to speed over the first inch
or two of travel.

After you find the highest velocity that will run without losing steps,
set the rapid velocity limit to a value lower than that velocity.
Somewhere between 50% and 80% of the velocity that sometimes loses
steps.

Then tune your acceleration. Increase the acceleration until steps are
lost then reduce it to a safer value.

I usually just use an acceleration that requires 1 second to get up to
full speed. That is adequate and I don't have to spend time
experimenting to find a faster value. One second of acceleration is fast
enough and yet unlikely to tax the motors.

Tom Hubin
thubin@...