CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Mach III and DeskCNC

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2005-02-21 12:02:14 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Will" <nmbmxer@y...> wrote:

> I have been debating on which of these machine controllers I want
> use. My problem is that I really like the Cam and the digitizing
that
> DeskCNC offers, but I am going to run it on a Shoptask machine. I
> really need a lathe contoller. It doesnt have to be a fancy one,
but
> I need to be able to cut threads.

DeskCNC has a lathe mode that supports single point threading. It
works by synchronizing the axis step and direction to a spindle
mounted, quadrature encoder. The coarsest thread is limited to a 1:1
ratio of the quadrature encoder pulses and the machine steps per
inch. Fine threads are interpolated as needed.

If you had a 10,000 spi ratio on the axis, a 500 line encoder X4 for
quadrature, DeskCNC could turn a thread pitch as course as 5 tpi.
The synchronization is electronically geared and you are only
limited speed wise to the encoder reader/mechanical shaft
capabilities ( usually about 10,000 rpm) and the speed of your lathe
Z axis. You can even hand thread if you manually turn the spindle
while the threading cycle is running.

>My question is this, can I use more
> than one type of controller with the DeskCnc hardware? If so,
which
> ones are compatible?

At the present time only DeskCNC software will drive the DeskCNC
controller.

You can use the DeskCNC software to create G-code to program other
CNC machines that are not controlled by DeskCNC. The output from
the DeskCNC CAM software is RS-274D, G-code.

Fred Smith - IMService
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

Discussion Thread

Will 2005-02-21 08:21:39 UTC Mach III and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2005-02-21 12:02:14 UTC Re: Mach III and DeskCNC John Stevenson 2005-02-21 15:09:09 UTC Re: Mach III and DeskCNC Will 2005-02-21 18:06:32 UTC Re: Mach III and DeskCNC Will 2005-02-25 15:46:38 UTC Re: Mach III and DeskCNC ballendo 2005-02-27 07:46:32 UTC Re: Mach III and DeskCNC John Stevenson 2005-02-27 08:02:48 UTC Re: Mach III and DeskCNC Will 2005-02-27 08:41:55 UTC Re: Mach III and DeskCNC John Stevenson 2005-02-27 09:04:24 UTC Re: Mach III and DeskCNC