CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Smallish CNC Miller

Posted by R Rogers
on 2005-04-30 17:10:01 UTC
Ian Haynes <ian.c.haynes@...> wrote:
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the info. Taking all the replies together it seems that the
Bridgeport is at the top end of steppers and unless something big can be
found servos are the way to go. Thanks for the link to the surplus DC
motors, could you advise on a suitable encoder and source or at least what I
should look for in the spec?

///"US digital" makes a very good inexpensive encoder and they are great to deal with also. The Geckos require an encoder 5V with less than 50 mA current draw if you are going to power them right off the Gecko. Most encoders exceed this. However you can use an external power supply, and if you arent sure of the draw use an external supply. The best bet is just buy some new ones from USdigital they can be had for as little as $30 each. An important consideration regarding encoders is the resolution. Depending on the software you use. If you use Mach2 or Mach3, The pulse train is limited to 45k steps per second. Sounds like alot but a high res encoder will eat that up rather quickly especially driving 3 or more axies simultaneously. This also effects drive selection. The 320 is the standard drive and the 340 has a built in step multiplier to increase the number of steps to the servo. You'll need to calculate ballscrew pitch, ratios, software pulse speed, and desired rapid to really
determine the encoder resolution. I use 200 cpr's with 2.5:1 reduction, Mach2 and Gecko 320's on Bridgeports and they work great.

Ron

////

There are some encoders on Ebay and I had a
look at the specs but I don't know enough to know if they are what I need.
My plan would be to use Gecko servo drivers.

I got the Chris Bruno drawings and they are a great start.

Thanks again

Ian