CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Brushless motors from models and such

on 2005-09-04 01:34:36 UTC
Thanks Hugh,

It application would be for a high speed spindle.

seems the current unit of choice is a dremel or similar.

there is a desire to get away from brushed motors for the maintenance
problem, even if the brushless is less powerful.

I am still not sure about the ESC (electronic speed control) it seems
that there is a radio receiver in the model and that will output
something to the (throttle) motor.

For servo's like flaps or alerions or even steering, the servo is a
motor with gear box that moves about 90 degrees. it receives a steady
1,500 hz signal to remain at center, or 1,000 hz to move fully one
way, or 2,000 hz to move fully the other way, or anything inbetween.

What I have not been able to find is what siganl would be needed for
the throttle.

I do understand the motor needs 7 to 12 volts for POWER, but the
SIGNAL is something different.

the 15-20mS instruction time makes sense, with a 1-2mS command,
possibly 20mS for full speed ? I would expect a 'not zero' signal to
indicate zero speed.

industrially, we use 4-20mA and have 4 to show we are connected, but
have a zero value. a real zero means the wire is cut or there is no
power.

From the looks of things, the motor run in the $80 range and a 20 amp
or more ESC runs close to $100.00

It sounds a little pricey for a 35,000 RPM motor, but it appears there
are not a lot of options for high speed motors.

Dave

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Prescott" <hugh345@a...>
wrote:
> I think the OP is looking to use a propulsion motor for a spindle drive.
>
> The hobby industry is presently experiencing rapid growth in
brushless DC
> motors and controlers.
>
> Basically they are a VFD and 3phase motor. DC input 7.2 to ??? volts
input
> and require a 15 - 20 MS repeating 1 - 2 MS positive pulse from the
radio
> system throttle channel.
>
> No reason they would not make a good spindle drive motor for a small
> drilling or milling system as in PCB work.
>
> As far as using the motor and speed controller for positioning I
think not.
> No feedback capability and way to course control.
>
> Hugh
> Hobby shop owner/ hobby electronics electroinc tech.
> Always willing to answer questions

information were
> > the guys would actually know how the parts work ? it seems the whole
> > hobby is orienteated towards using the toys and not engineering them.
> > (just opposite of this list)
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > Addresses:
> > Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> >
> > Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > timg@k...
> > Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j...
> > [Moderators] URL to this group:
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> > aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it
> > if you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

be a
> > sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there,
> > for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM.
> > DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> > bill
> > List Mom
> > List Owner
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> > Addresses:
> > Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> >
> > Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> timg@k...
> > Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j...
> [Moderators]
> > URL to this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> > bill
> > List Mom
> > List Owner
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

turbulatordude 2005-09-03 10:29:58 UTC Brushless motors from models and such caedave 2005-09-03 10:54:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Brushless motors from models and such Roy J. Tellason 2005-09-03 11:27:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Brushless motors from models and such John Delaney 2005-09-03 11:58:13 UTC Re: Brushless motors from models and such r@s... 2005-09-03 15:10:42 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Brushless motors from models and such Hugh Prescott 2005-09-03 20:44:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Brushless motors from models and such turbulatordude 2005-09-04 01:34:36 UTC Re: Brushless motors from models and such Hugh Prescott 2005-09-04 10:24:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Brushless motors from models and such Les Newell 2005-09-04 10:38:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Brushless motors from models and such Roy J. Tellason 2005-09-04 11:46:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Brushless motors from models and such Hugh Prescott 2005-09-04 13:12:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Brushless motors from models and such Roy J. Tellason 2005-09-04 13:44:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Brushless motors from models and such Les Newell 2005-09-04 15:13:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Brushless motors from models and such rod_parsons 2005-09-05 00:24:21 UTC Re: Brushless motors from models and such David Bloomfield 2005-09-05 06:37:39 UTC Re: Brushless motors from models and such