CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Brushless motors from models and such

Posted by Hugh Prescott
on 2005-09-04 10:24:27 UTC
After re-reading my discription of the standard R/C receiver output signal I
realize I did not describe it well enough. My bad.

Most modern R/C systems use PPM Pulse Position Modulation. Big name for
something that very simple.

_--_--_---_----______________________--_--_---_--________________________--

Bad ASCII art but this represents the pulse train of a 4 channel (control)
from a transmitter to a receiver.

The starts of three frames are shown The start pulse is the first rise after
the long low level signal. The frame is the length of time between the start
pulses. This is ususally 16 to 20 milliseconds in length.

The sync pause is the time the signal remains low after a group of pauses,
it allows the decoder in the receiver to reset and know that the next pulse
it receives will be the start of another frame. This is in the area of 6 to
10 milliseconds.

Note that the high pulse level varies in width, this is the data the servos
or speed controls use for control position.
The receiver decodes the above signal and sends the first pulse to the
ailrons, the second to the elevator, the third to the rudder and the fourth
to the throttle. These control signals (positive 5 volt) vary in width
controled by the transmitter sticks from 1 to 2 milliseconds with 1.5
milliseconds being neutral (controls centered)

In the second group of pulses the 4th channel throttle has changed so the
throttle servo or electronic speed control will alter the carb positin or
change the power level to the motor.

All you need to control a R/C servo or speed controller is a one chip pulse
generator that outputs a 5 volt positive pulse of 1 to 2 milliseconds every
15 to 20 milliseconds.

Loss of signal stops the pulses to the servos and they simply stay where
they were. Usually full throttle with down elevator, buying the farm at
100MPH <GRIN>

Google "servo stimulator" and you should find several circiuts that can be
built with $5.00 worth of parts from Radio Shack etc. Your local hobby shop
can probablyget you one for under $30.00.

They are so simple that most repair shops just build their own, some simple,
some fancy with digital readouts etc.

I have some circut boards from a servo tester design that I did in the '80
that I could build up just the servo pulser if that would help. Requires 5
volts DC and a 10 K pot for pulse with control.

Most electronic speed controllers have a 5 volt output circut that is used
to run the receiver and other servos so you would not need a seperate power
supply for the servo stimulator.

Hope this helps
Hugh