CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Compumotor Plus stepper drive

on 2000-07-03 14:29:59 UTC
hi Carey,

unfortunately while a resolver (a two-phase field syncro) can be connected
as a motor and will produce a little power, a two-phase stepper cannot be
connected to function as a resolver. the resolver has a reference phase
(a single-phase winding on the armature) while the stepper motor uses a
permanent magnet armature (at least in the type of stepper motors discussed
here for machine drives). there is a lot of work (and some patents issued)
on detecting the position of a stepper armature without additional encoders
or windings, but there is no way to connect a stepper to a resolver input,
since there is no output of the stepper when stopped. the resolver, however,
works when stopped due to the ac excitation of the armature.

yes, when equipped with a hi-resolution position sensor (such as a resolver,
or encoder) there is no distinction between a stepper motor and a brushless
dc servo motor.

-ron