CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2006-06-23 06:44:56 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "William Perun Sr"
<wperun1@...> wrote:

> Response to Message #88317
> Fred Smith, thank you for responding to my post. Your description
> of the functionality of DeskCNC is very helpful. What is most
> interesting is that DeskCNC is a CAM software. I can use Coral
> Draw, Rhino, or whatever CAD package and convert their .dxf, .stl,
> files to G-code with all of the complex "tooling and geometry"
> decisions associated with tool size and shape, offset side, feeds
> and speeds, depth of cut, etc thru Windows by DeskCNC.

There is a book called "Easy CNC" that covers many beginner's
questions about using image and DXF styles of geometry to create
toolpaths with DeskCNC.

http://www.imsrv.com/deskcnc/#easyCNC

> You mentioned that DeskCNC does "rotary axis (like rings) tool
paths
> from .stl models".

Yes, it works directly from the model of the ring.

http://www.deskcnc.com/Rotary_Tutorial.html

>Does DeskCNC take a design that has been laid
> out in a flat plane, and wrap it around a circle?

This is a capability that all the g-code controllers have. After
DeskCNC creates the X-Y-Z G-code from a flat model, swap the Y axis
driver with the rotary axis motor. ( be sure to turn off power to
the drivers when you switch the wires) Your design will be cut in X-
Y-A. Adjust the scale of the rotary axis steps/degree so that Y
steps per unit = A steps per degree

>I realize that I
> have to calculate all the circumfrences my self. An example is
the
> ring design that has sign wave(s) "woven" around the
circumference,
> and perfectly run into each other at the ends. Is this do able by
> DeskCNC, after I design in a flat plane by some CAD (.stl)
software,
> import the .stl "flat plane" design into DeskCNC - will
> DeskCNC "wrap" the .stl design into a circle?

Cad programs that can save a model as an .stl should also be able to
model the completed part and save it as an .stl. It's much easier
to create a toolpath from a visible part, than from some
hypothetical flat layout. The DeskCNC toolpaths account for the
part when it is designed in 3D. A flat layout of a 3D part will not
be quite as accurate, due to the wrapping it may be slightly
distorted.

If you want to design a simple 2D design and wrap it around a ring,
you may want to try to use 2D curve contours and save as a flat DXF
file. DeskCNC will open and create toopaths from these, and you can
then use the Y-A axis substitution to create your part. DXF file
toolpaths are usually more efficient than those made from an .stl.

> Do you think that DeskCNC will be releasing (some day) a new
version
> which facilitates parametric programming?

At present time DeskCNC supports subroutines. Subroutines can be
used to make multiple arrayed copies of the same part at various
locations. This process involves positioning to the first part
zero, making the part with the subroutine, positioning to the second
part zero, making the part with the subroutine, etc.

DeskCNC also supports the same math parsing and variable assignments
as EMC ( RS-274NGC ).

These capabilities; subroutines, math parsing, and variable
assignments, can be used for sequential parametric programming.

Missing will be branching and looping. You can use the DeskCNC api
for this level of parametric programming and will use Delphi or VB
programming languages. You will probably need to do more of the
user interface with this method. The Api supports most if not all
the machine controller capabilities, including g-code file parsing.

Best regards,

Fred Smith - IMService
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

Discussion Thread

William Perun Sr 2006-06-21 11:57:52 UTC EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Anders Wallin 2006-06-21 12:10:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-21 13:43:56 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Stephen Wille Padnos 2006-06-21 16:45:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2006-06-22 06:36:51 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-22 10:02:48 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Anders Wallin 2006-06-22 12:56:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-23 03:40:21 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Lester Caine 2006-06-23 04:20:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-23 04:22:59 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2006-06-23 06:44:56 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-23 07:30:22 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-23 08:21:42 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2006-06-23 10:16:30 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Lester Caine 2006-06-23 10:31:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-24 16:59:59 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-24 17:37:06 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2006-06-25 10:49:47 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-26 12:36:46 UTC DeskCNC