CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC

on 2006-06-24 16:59:59 UTC
Response to Message #88298
Stephen, thank you for all of your recommendations, and
information. This particular string of posts have been very useful
to me, and I have learned a lot.

Bill Perun

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Wille Padnos
<spadnos@...> wrote:

> William Perun Sr wrote:
>
> >Anders, thanks for the reply. Your response triggered a
thought.
> >Are CNC hobby milling users, using EMC2 to CALL the G-code files
> >from VS-3D, or DeskCNC, or MACH 3. And then they write
subfunctions
> >in EMC2 to enable the example engraving application I described.
> >Thus creating a Fanuc capability with hobby CNC interpreter or
CAM
> >software?
> >

> You can't use more than one of Mach, DeskCNC, or EMC at the same
time.
> There's no way to use the current EMC2 interpreter from within
Mach or
> DeskCNC.
>
> >I guess I still don't know if Mach 3 or DeskCNC can do Parametric
> >Programming.
> >
> I'm not sure about that. I believe that either one allows you to
write
> custom code in Visual Basic, or to call DLL functions from your
own
> code. I'm not sure how this integrates with the motion controller
in
> either.
>
> > And I guess DeskCNC is also a kind of CAD CAM software
> >because you can write G-code in it, thus designing a part to be
> >machined. Of course it would have to be something simple,
> >especially for me.
> >

> Unless there's a text editor, I don't think you can do CAD/CAM
with
> DeskCNC. I know it can load bitmap or DXF files, and directly
machine
> them based on some parameters you supply. I don't know what
facilities
> there are in DeskCNC for creating pockets and the like. I imagine
> that's more of a Bobcad / Vector function (though Fred can
certainly
> chime in with the correct answer). Mach has no built-in CAD or
CAM
> functions, though there is the new LazyCam program that's included
(I
> don't know how it integrates with the Mach UI). EMC2 has filters
> available for DXF, STL, and image file types as well (in fact, any
image
> that can be read by ImageMagick can be machined as a height map,
which
> includes roughly 90 image formats). There are also some scripts
for
> directly exporting Eagle PC Boards for milling, and for G-code
path
> length optimiaztion. They're not as easy to use at this point,
but
> we're getting there.
>
> >I guess I don't understand why someone would use EMC2 instead of
> >DeskCNC or MACH 3. I guess DeskCNC and MACH 3 do all kinds of
> >administrative tasks (Windows programming, stepping motor
control,
> >machining geometry (pockets, ... ) optimization, and many things
> >don't even have a clue about. How does EMC2 do these behind the
> >scenes tasks?
> >

> Well, I guess it depends on what operating system you're using,
how much
> you want to spend, and what hardware you want to use. DeskCNC
works
> only with their step generator board, as far as I know. Mach
works with
> several kinds of hardware for generic I/O, and can now (or soon)
use the
> G-Rex for step generation. As far as I know, only the parallel
port
> (and soon the G-Rex) can be used for step output with Mach. EMC2
> supports several types of hardware, including parallel port step
> generation (like Mach), parallel, ISA, or PCI connected step
generator
> cards, and analog servo control cards (and multiple kinds of
hardware
> simultaneously). Note that EMC is the only controller (for less
than
> roughly $5000) that does true closed loop motor control.
>
> If you're running Windows, then you should choose Mach or DeskCNC
(there
> are others as well, I believe). There's also TurboCNC for DOS.
If you
> want to run Linux, or you want to use sometihng other than the
parallel
> port / G-Rex / DeskCNC controller, then use EMC.
>
> >Again thanks for your reply.
> >
> >Bill Perun
> >

> Another point - it looks like think you're confusing three
separate
> parts of computer aided design and manufacturing. These are the
steps
> to go from concept to finished part:
> 1) Design (CAD): This can be a sketch on a napkin, or something
created
> in a 3D solid modeling program. The end result of this is usually
> called "geometry" - it's a representation of what you want the
part to
> look like, but it generally doesn't include data about how to make
the part.
> 2) Translation (CAM): You can open up notepad (or equivalent) and
write
> G-code, you can use a post-processor like MasterCAM, or anything
in
> between. In general, this step combines the design data
(geometry) with
> material data (making a part out of plastic is much different from
> making it from Titanium) and process data (machining, laser
sintering,
> stereolithography, etc. are different methods of creating the
part, and
> need different data).
> 3) Machine Control: This is the program that actually controls
the
> motors (and lasers, waterjets ...) on your machine. They usually
use
> G-Code to describe the toolpath. Here's where the constraints of
the
> particular machine are applied to the engineering and process
data, to
> create the final part. (This is also the on-topic part, for this
list ;) )

> Some of this confusion probably stems from the rudimentary CAD/CAM
> programs that are included with machine controller software ;)
>
> - Steve

Discussion Thread

William Perun Sr 2006-06-21 11:57:52 UTC EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Anders Wallin 2006-06-21 12:10:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-21 13:43:56 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Stephen Wille Padnos 2006-06-21 16:45:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2006-06-22 06:36:51 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-22 10:02:48 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Anders Wallin 2006-06-22 12:56:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-23 03:40:21 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Lester Caine 2006-06-23 04:20:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-23 04:22:59 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2006-06-23 06:44:56 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-23 07:30:22 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-23 08:21:42 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2006-06-23 10:16:30 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Lester Caine 2006-06-23 10:31:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-24 16:59:59 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-24 17:37:06 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2006-06-25 10:49:47 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-26 12:36:46 UTC DeskCNC