CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC

on 2006-06-24 17:37:06 UTC
Response to Message #88317, #88331, #88335
Fred thank you for taking the time to make your three posts. I have
really learned a lot about DeskCNC. I found my serial number, and
will be setting up a login and pass word to learn even more.

I did purchase "Easy CNC - A Beginners Guide to CNC" by David
Benson. I read it less than a year ago, but will have to re read it
now that I am going to actually start doing something.

So you do not see anything wrong with loading Norton anti virus
software, Office 2000, Outlook Express, and Internet Explorer on the
PC that I will be dedicating to DeskCNC and running the machine
with. It is a new HP Compaq dx2200. I will not have the PC on the
internet, and will turn off Norton.

I was surprised that the DeskCNC controller electronics card will be
connected to my PC thru the 9 pin, PC serial port. I was confused
about this and had to post a correction in Message #88332. What is
the advantage of the serial port approach to the parallel printer
cable port approach?

Thank you for discussing 4th axis machining in Message #88331. I
have 4 Gecko driver cards integrated into the KDN Tool Pinacle
control electronics. Will I be swapping the Y axis driver with the
rotary axis motor, as you described - when running a design that was
done in a plane like I had mentioned? OR because I have a 4th axis
output from the KDN Tool controller to the 4th axis motor, will I
run it with the 4th axis controller output? Is there something that
I have to do in DeskCNC to enable the 4th axis output from the KDN
Tool controller?

I checked and the Designs Computed, Virtual Sculptor (VS-3D)
software will wrap my sculpted design on a plane, to a cylinder or
sphere. It will generate the G-code to machine the design around a
cylinder. Is there anything that I may need to do to have DeskCNC
act as the interpreter to read the VS-3D G-code, and drive the 4th
axis? I realize that I am asking a lot, but if you have some
information, I would appreciate it.

Again thanks for all of your input to my questions.

Bill Perun

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Smith" <imserv@...>
wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "William Perun Sr"
> <wperun1@> wrote:
>
> > Well after reading your posts, I realize that I do not want
Norton
> > anti virus, Outlook Express, or Internet Explorer running on a
> > dedicated CNC controller PC running DeskCNC. I don't know too
> much
> > about PCs, but it seems that if any of those programs decides to
> do
> > its thing while I am running DeskCNC to drive my CNC milling
> > machine, that the stream of DeskCNC step and direct commands
might
> > get interrupted, and the job will get disrupted.
>
> DeskCNC will normally not be disrupted, in the worst case, only
> delayed. There is a 212 command fifo buffer in the controller
> card. The commands are complex positioning commands NOT step and
> direction. If the buffer should empty while windows does it's
> thing, the machine stops gracefully, and the controller awaits
> additional commands, it does not lose it's mind or position.
>
> >But running a CNC
> > interpreter program like DeskCNC for an hour to complete a
milling
> > job - is the RAM getting saturated even with Windows XP. Maybe
> not
> > shutting down the PC, but having to go thru a RAM cleanup /
> > reorganization in the middle of the CNC milling job, and
effecting
> > the CNC milling job.
>
> I have no reports of this happening with DeskCNC running in
Windows
> XP.
>
> There are still programs around that cause this kind of problem,
> usually 16 bit Win applications from the Windows 3.1 and 95 days,
> not very many 32 bit applications.
>
> Fred Smith - IMService
> http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

Discussion Thread

William Perun Sr 2006-06-21 11:57:52 UTC EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Anders Wallin 2006-06-21 12:10:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-21 13:43:56 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Stephen Wille Padnos 2006-06-21 16:45:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2006-06-22 06:36:51 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-22 10:02:48 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Anders Wallin 2006-06-22 12:56:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-23 03:40:21 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Lester Caine 2006-06-23 04:20:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-23 04:22:59 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2006-06-23 06:44:56 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-23 07:30:22 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-23 08:21:42 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2006-06-23 10:16:30 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Lester Caine 2006-06-23 10:31:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-24 16:59:59 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-24 17:37:06 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC Fred Smith 2006-06-25 10:49:47 UTC Re: EMC and Taig w/ MicroProto and DeskCNC William Perun Sr 2006-06-26 12:36:46 UTC DeskCNC