CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko, fuses on the power or not ?

Posted by Mark Vaughan
on 2006-10-02 11:48:27 UTC
If you only have an AC supply fuse you would need very meaty servo drives
though some of the big commercial boys do it this way.
The best manner to protect things is with several fuses common areas are.
1 The AC transformer supply, make sure it's big enough to cope with the
massive inrush current.
2 Between Transformer and Reactifier / Capacitor Pack. This isn't normally
fused, a failure of a cap will normall knock the main AC fuses out. A
failure of rectifier knocks lots of things out but is very rare.
3 Between DC supply and Gecko's. It's good practice here to fuse each Gecko
separately, but if their joint current is greater than your supply can
handle (i.e your supply is on the small size) then it can be a good idea to
provide a fuse in the common DC side before it splits to the Gecko drives.

If you look at big professional machines you will find no expense seems to
be spared when it comes to fuses and circuit breakers. There seems to be
more of these than all other components put together.

Hope this helps, but the lack of a fuse may not have saved your Gecko. You
need to work out why you poped it, whether you pushed it too hard, whether
it overheated, are your current thresholds set too high etc.
Reg Mark

_____