CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] upgrade cnc

Posted by Mark Vaughan
on 2007-04-17 13:02:43 UTC
Reversing DC motors, you can do it instantly, BUT!!!

I used to work for a while at Darlington rolling mill in England

The steel went under huge rollers, 6ft diameter and about 6 ft long solid
steel. These were driven by a huge DC motor of about the same size with a 6
inch diameter drive shaft, direct coupled. They would send the metal down
through the mill, don’t know how many revs the rollers were doing, but the
metal flew through at a very fast rate.

Now the reversing of the motor bit, no deceleration, apparently that wasted
time on the mill, instead they just used a huge contactor and swapped the
polarity, with a very loud shriek, bang and ammeters canned on the end stops
the rollers would reverse in fractions of a second, absolutely amazed me.
The mill was breaking these 6 inch diameter motor shafts, at £5000 each plus
a motor rewind, the group I was with continually rebuilt 7 to 10 a month, a
very nice contract. You would have thought the down time to change a motor
and roller would have been worth considering to weigh against a short
deceleration time, but !!!

Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D. B.Eng. M0VAU

Managing Director

Vaughan Industries Ltd, reg in UK no 2561068

Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH, UK.
Phone/Fax 44 1872 561288

RSGB DRM111(Cornwall)

_____