CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tapmatic 30TC/DC 1/2" Arbor

Posted by Peter Homann
on 2007-05-08 01:15:56 UTC
Hi Ballendo,

All very interesting points. I had considered a 2nd headstock but figured
the 2nd motor and controller was a bit excessive. You may have a good
point. I'll revisit it.

It may be simpler to have a connector for the lead between the motor and
motor controller though.

There would need to be a Stop on the boxway dovetail to all the headstock
to retain its Z position after a change.

It would be interesting if the diameter of the tapmatic was the same as
the bore through the headstock. I don't believe that it would be the right
way to hold it, just interesting.

If it all works, it may be worth making a tapping station out of a Taig
cnc mill. I don't have that much use for it, yet.

BTW can anyone explain how to use a tapmatic in a manual drill press to
tap holes. I find that having to re-clamp the stock for each hole, meanss
that it is almost faster to tap by hand. Or does everyone have a X/Y table
on their drill press?

Cheers,

Peter.

ballendo wrote:
> Peter, snips, inserts follow...
>
>>In CCED, "Peter Homann" <groups@...> wrote:
>>I'm planning to try and mount a Tapmatic 30TC/DC tapping head on a
>>Taig CNC mill.
>
> Using both at the same time or one after the other?
>
>>My plan is to mount the head beside the standard mill head, using a
>>bracket mounted to the T-Slots in the Mill head. The bracket will
>>contain a couple of bearing blocks for 2 x 1/2 ID bearing.
>
> Minimise the distance to the shaft. Sounds like you're planning to
> mount the taphead to the right of the spindle? (opposite the motor?
> I just went to look at one of or 2019's to get oriented<G>)
>
>>The idea is that the bearing will hold the Tapmatic 1/2 arbor. a
>>Taig 1/2" ID pulley block will then sit on top. I'll then run a
>>large Taig Gates belt from the motor to the pulley.
>>With this setup I'll get about the same Z clearance as the standard
>>mill head. My only concern is that the tapping head will be off
>>centre by a couple of inches.
>
> A valid concern IMO.
>
>>But then the Taig is a tough little beast.
>
> True. but there may be an easier way...
>
> <snip>
>>Also any comments on my planned setup would be helpful.
>
> Why not just take advantage of one of the Taig mill's major
> strengths?
>
> And mount an ALTERNATE head on the z axis dovetail?
>
> That's what I'd do.
> Then I could use a Sherline DC torque-y motor--with a digispeed<G>--
> to power the tapmatic fully independant of the main spindle.
> Shouldn't take more than few seconds to swap the heads/motors. (Add
> an IEC "computer style "monitor" connector to the Sherline motor and
> use a minidin for the digispeed connection.
>
> In fact, you proabablt know "someone"<G> who could set up a
> switching arrangement so you just put one or the other head into
> place, flip a switch and go?<G>
>
> This way you'd preserve access for the tapping head to the entire
> machine travels...
>
> You could mill your own second headstock or simply buy the main
> extrusion from TAIG. Should be pretty inexpensive, and by simply
> turning a bushing for the 1/2" ID bearing --you are planning to use
> a double row type?--you should be able to fit that size tapmatic
> inside the stock taig HS?
>
> I'd bet that this setup will changeover faster and be more reliable
> than the planned version.
>
> Old style:
> 1) Remove cutting bit from spindle.
> 2) Loosen motor tension adjust screw.
> 3) Remove short belt. Add longer belt.
> 4) Adjust tension of long belt, and tighten tensioning screw, and
> motor mount plate screw.
> 5) Tap.
>
> Proposed New style:
> 1) Loosen head mount screw and swap heads.
> 2) Tighten new head screw.
> 3) Flip "2nd head" switch, or connect power and digispeed connectors.
> 4) Tap.
>
> It gets better if you have to go back and forth, since you won't
> [...]

Discussion Thread

Peter Homann 2007-05-07 19:04:34 UTC Tapmatic 30TC/DC 1/2" Arbor ballendo 2007-05-08 00:50:03 UTC Re: Tapmatic 30TC/DC 1/2" Arbor Peter Homann 2007-05-08 01:15:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tapmatic 30TC/DC 1/2" Arbor ballendo 2007-05-08 01:59:49 UTC Re: Tapmatic 30TC/DC 1/2" Arbor Peter Homann 2007-05-08 05:24:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tapmatic 30TC/DC 1/2" Arbor