CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Tapmatic 30TC/DC 1/2" Arbor

Posted by ballendo
on 2007-05-08 01:59:49 UTC
>In CCED, "Peter Homann" <groups@...> wrote:
>There would need to be a Stop on the boxway dovetail to all the
>headstock to retain its Z position after a change.

Yes. A 10-32(M5) tapped hole in th edovetail plate and its attending
SHCS takes care of that.

>BTW can anyone explain how to use a tapmatic in a manual drill
>press to tap holes. I find that having to re-clamp the stock for
>each hole, means that it is almost faster to tap by hand.

You want the tap to "float"/follow the hole, so unless you're after
high precision holes for an aerospace customer, you simply hold the
part in a "floating vise" on the DP table. The word "floating" will
have different meanings depending upon material, tap size and type
of hole (blind or through).

At best, you simply add a "tail" to your standard DP vise which you
keep against the DP column so the tap cannot spin the vise and work.
This is for smallish taps in material that taps readily. (IOW, you
don't have to worry about something catching and "lifting" the
piece.)
This method is for use when the part/vise is not TOO heavy in
relation to the "centering action" of the tap upon the workpiece in
XY. IOW, if you cannot "shift" the part to allow trhe tap to center
itself in the drilled hole, you need a different technique. Having a
number of different DP vises and fixtures helps to adjust to suit
the part and operation.

From here you go up in constraining features, whilst still allowing
the vise to "float" in XY. There are specially made floating xy
tables--no lead screws, just linear bearings--for tapping in the DP
in industrial situations. They will be bolted and/or have some sort
of "tail" as described above. They will also incorporate some means
to keep the part from lifting from the DP table.

Hope this helps. I find that for most hobby tapping, the tail with a
normal Heinrich style quick clamp DP vise works for me and the folks
who've worked for me. Note that sometimes the "tail" is the vise
body itself; the point is to prevent the part/vise from catching and
spinning towards and injury!

Ballendo

Discussion Thread

Peter Homann 2007-05-07 19:04:34 UTC Tapmatic 30TC/DC 1/2" Arbor ballendo 2007-05-08 00:50:03 UTC Re: Tapmatic 30TC/DC 1/2" Arbor Peter Homann 2007-05-08 01:15:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tapmatic 30TC/DC 1/2" Arbor ballendo 2007-05-08 01:59:49 UTC Re: Tapmatic 30TC/DC 1/2" Arbor Peter Homann 2007-05-08 05:24:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tapmatic 30TC/DC 1/2" Arbor