CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions

Posted by Michael Fagan
on 2008-02-08 00:33:19 UTC
On Feb 8, 2008 12:14 AM, Steve Blackmore <steve@...> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 23:53:35 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have a good source for MasterCAM tutorials? I just got
> >MasterCAM 8 and I also have access to 10. I have used FeatureCAM pretty
> >extensively but it was a bit different.
>
> Why not stick with FeatureCam? Mastercam is far inferior IMO, with awful
> menus and user interface, and only basic machining strategies.

I agree, however, running the machine shop for a high school robotics
team, we were donated a copy of MasterCAM and can't afford to buy
FeatureCAM. I used FeatureCAM when I took a CAD/CAM class at the
local City College, and while I really liked it, we don't have the
budget to buy it.

> >Also, since my Taig has manual, non-preset tools (it's got an ER-16
> >spindle), I always run my ops as separate programs, one program for each
> >tool.
>
> You can use all your tools in the one program if your set up right. I
> start with tool one Zero 'd to stock surface or a reference point and
> when Mach3 stops for a tool change, simply change tool, jog back to
> surface or ref point, press zero Z then press cycle start, and off you
> go again.

I run EMC2, so I'll have to see how to do that. I'm not sure how it's
configured to react when it reaches a tool change cycle, I'll have to
check that out. If it doesn't work with a tool change, it might work
with a M01 optional stop, I'll try it out and see.

So far all of the parts I have run have been plates, which I secure to
my tooling plate. A couple of dowel pins and 2-4 #10 SHCS hold the
plates to the table. I run all of them through one tool (usually 6-10
pieces for each part), then load the new program, new tool, and run
them all through again. I've been checking pretty carefully and I
haven't had any registration problems between the different runs. The
first op is usually the most precise, bearing holes, for example, and
then the rest of the ops are for various bolts, standoffs, and such.

> Steve Blackmore

Thanks for the good advice.
Michael

Discussion Thread

Michael Fagan 2008-02-07 23:53:37 UTC MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions Steve Blackmore 2008-02-08 00:14:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions Michael Fagan 2008-02-08 00:33:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions Stephen Wille Padnos 2008-02-08 05:48:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions Michael Fagan 2008-02-08 07:17:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions pml58@s... 2008-02-08 08:16:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions Steve Blackmore 2008-02-08 08:16:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions Steve Blackmore 2008-02-08 08:31:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions Michael Fagan 2008-02-09 01:08:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions smirob1 2008-02-09 14:45:12 UTC Re: MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions Mihaly Kis 2008-02-09 16:18:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions Michael Fagan 2008-02-10 19:42:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: MasterCAM Tutorials, postprocessor, and NC file generation questions