CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Ref: Free laser scanner software

Posted by Chris Horne
on 2008-04-07 04:27:37 UTC
I too have been trying it out.

I now have a good camera, laser setup, with a reasonably high res
webcam and a choice of red or green laser lines, and can get good
scans from test objects.

but I want to scan chromed and polished items..

To get round the surface problem I have been experimenting with white
powder paint and dishwashing liquid as a whitewash..
So far so good.. it makes a very reflective, or transparent object
scan-able, and washes off easily in water.

I have used Meshcam to generate the toolpaths.

Its going to be useful, but I haven't used it in anger yet !

(-=Spiyda=-)

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, stan <stan.distortion@...> wrote:

> Definitely, it can be extremely accurate if set up properly and it
doesn't
> need particularly expensive components. It is very fussy about
different
> surface types though, clear materials are very tricky apparently. I
want to
> make one with a camera and 3 laser pointers fixed together and the
whole
> assembly moving to sit at a fixed distance and directly face-on to a
surface.
> No real benefits from doing it that way, it gets rid of any
inaccuracies in
> the camera/laser angle but causes a much bigger pain in the neck
calculating
> X,Y and Z axis plus 2 rotational axis. Does give predator-like
targeting
> though :)
> cheers

Discussion Thread

timgoldstein 2008-04-06 05:36:43 UTC Free laser scanner software stan 2008-04-06 08:21:16 UTC Ref: Free laser scanner software Chris Horne 2008-04-07 04:27:37 UTC Re: Ref: Free laser scanner software stan 2008-04-07 11:34:37 UTC Ref: Free laser scanner software Chris Horne 2008-04-08 10:39:02 UTC Re: Ref: Free laser scanner software stan 2008-04-08 15:30:03 UTC Ref: Free laser scanner software Chris Horne 2008-04-09 09:44:16 UTC Re: Ref: Free laser scanner software