CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project

Posted by John Dammeyer
on 2008-06-30 15:08:46 UTC
Hi,

I'm in the process of converting an equivalent to a Grizzly G3616 mill.
It's also available as a G3617 which has a horizontal mill drive. The
G3617 also has a larger table in the X direction. Don't know why they
made the G3616 table smaller.

Anyway, the biggest drawback to this mill is that the X axis can also
rotate which is useful for the g3617 with horizontal mill but not so
handy for the one without. It adds a few inches of height which
restricts the maximum distance between the spindle and the table.

The other down side is that the quill rotation is prevented only by the
teeth on the rack and pinion part that raises and lowers the quill. On
mine, at the moment the DRO scale does that which is not a good idea; I
have the Shumatech DRO on all three axis. I will be adding a more
robust guide to fix this issue.

For the CNC part, I've done up drawings in Alibre for motor mounts. I'm
going to use Keiling DC Servos with HP UHU drives for the X and Y axis.
I'll use a stepper motor drive for the knee since speed isn't an issue
there. Eventually I'll add power down feed to the quill too. Don't know
yet if it will be a servo or stepper; haven't decided.

On the spindle front, I will be installing a 2HP 3-phase motor and VFD.
I have flood coolant (came with) that will also be MACH controlled.

Finally long term plan is to add a raising block between the column and
the head just large enough to also hold an R8 Spindle run with an HP UHU
servo and add the horizontal mill feature to this system.

Ball screws are also in its future.

John Dammeyer

Automation Artisans Inc.
http://www.autoartisans.com/ELS/
Ph. 1 250 544 4950

Discussion Thread

mayfieldtm 2008-06-30 13:07:19 UTC Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project John Dammeyer 2008-06-30 15:08:46 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project mayfieldtm 2008-06-30 15:48:34 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Jon Elson 2008-06-30 18:22:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Lester Caine 2008-06-30 22:50:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Mic Arthur 2008-07-01 04:38:56 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Fred Smith 2008-07-01 06:35:15 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project andrey@e... 2008-07-01 08:26:18 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Philip Burman 2008-07-02 03:24:57 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Fred Smith 2008-07-02 05:59:05 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project mayfieldtm 2008-07-02 06:27:38 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project gcode fi (hanermo) 2008-07-02 09:03:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Jon Elson 2008-07-02 10:01:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Jon Elson 2008-07-02 10:09:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Philip Burman 2008-07-02 15:00:51 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Ron Ginger 2008-07-03 05:37:13 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Michael Fagan 2008-07-03 23:28:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project