CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project

on 2008-07-02 09:03:34 UTC
In this case ...
As Phil recommended, your boss WILL SAVE money if you buy the Tormach,
or something similar.
You may enjoy it more, if you do a retrofit (or not).

Regarding HP -
Fred is a knowledgeable long-time poster, but the HP stuff is not quite
right (no offense meant Fred !).
Spinning a cutting tool up to 5000 rpm takes way under 0.1 HP. You can
connect a dremel to a BP sindle with a 1/8" toolbit and it will spin it
to 5000 rpm in under 5 secs and keep it there forever. It wont cut
anything, however, but getting it there is not the issue.

Bridgeports had 3/4 HP motors for over 10 years (M-head and early
J-heads) ! and were by far the BEST TOOL available.
I have one.

My old BP motor is 3/4 HP, 3-phase, and has a mass of 18 kg.
It can DELIVER 3/4 HP at tool forever (rated continuous run), the 3/4 HP
is NOT the peak electrical input at the switchbox like in modern air
compressors for example, but rather 3/4 HP output at tooltip. Its almost
silent when running, like any good industrial motor. It still runs very
well even being about 50 years old.

Any INDUSTRIAL MOTOR of 3/4 HP or more will work.
In general, a VFD and a 3-phase motor are much better for many reasons -
they last essentially forever, provide faster and smoother acceleration,
deceleration and smoother running, and smoother cuts. 3-phase motors are
almost the same price as any small (industrial) motor. A small VFD is
only 100-200$. For the price, is doing a retrofit, the best may be about
1.5 HP motor and VFD (almost same cost as 3/4 hp). Surplus center in the
us is supposed to be very good and cheap. Many have been very happy.

CNCĂ­ng the knee is common and works well on BP size/type machines.
Just use a 3:1 belt reduction, and any 5 Nm and up motor. A Nema 34
6-9Nm (600-1000 oz-in) will work very very well.
Use at least HTD 5 mm pulleys (9 mm wide), better yet the 15 mm wide
ones. The smaller ones are not rated for the HP/torque at the low speeds
used (under 100 rpm).

The mass of the table keeps it backlash free-
this will not work on light/small machines under 400 pounds like the
tabletop mills. There you will need a ballscrew and zero-backlash solution.

mayfieldtm wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO%40yahoogroups.com>, "Philip Burman"
> <philip.burman@...> wrote:
> >
> > Assuming the man hours to put it all together and make it work are
> > valued at commercial rates then a ready out of the box mill like a
> > Tormach at USD6,800 might make more sense.
>
> Thanks Phil. I've been trying to remember 'Tormach'.
>
> Actually, I'd rather go the ready made route, my boss wants to save
> some $$$. As to the reference to the 'man hours', I and my Machinists
> are getting paid regardless if we are working on this or other projects.
>
> By the way... thanks to Jon and others with your recommendations, I
> have a nice list now. I like the smaller table-tops like the Tang, I'm
> being pushed into something a little larger. I was looking at the
> Grizzly G3102 or it's equivalent, however, I've read on the web a
> couple of horror stories on issues with the G3102 and I'm wondering if
> these problems have been dealt with by Grizzly. I'll dig a little deeper.
>
> If I was to convert a Knee Mill. I'm thinking of controlling the Knee
> movement and leaving the spindle alone. On manual machines, I do most
> of any drilling operations using the Knee, except when I need to to a
> lot of pecking.
> Any thoughts on this?
> I'd like to see some examples of how others have handled a Knee
> conversion.
>
> Tom M
>
> .

Discussion Thread

mayfieldtm 2008-06-30 13:07:19 UTC Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project John Dammeyer 2008-06-30 15:08:46 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project mayfieldtm 2008-06-30 15:48:34 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Jon Elson 2008-06-30 18:22:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Lester Caine 2008-06-30 22:50:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Mic Arthur 2008-07-01 04:38:56 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Fred Smith 2008-07-01 06:35:15 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project andrey@e... 2008-07-01 08:26:18 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Philip Burman 2008-07-02 03:24:57 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Fred Smith 2008-07-02 05:59:05 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project mayfieldtm 2008-07-02 06:27:38 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project gcode fi (hanermo) 2008-07-02 09:03:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Jon Elson 2008-07-02 10:01:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Jon Elson 2008-07-02 10:09:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Philip Burman 2008-07-02 15:00:51 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Ron Ginger 2008-07-03 05:37:13 UTC Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project Michael Fagan 2008-07-03 23:28:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mill recommendations needed for new CNC Project