CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes

Posted by Michael Fagan
on 2010-01-13 16:53:34 UTC
We run Renishaw probes on all of our CNC equipment. The tips are simply
carefully unscrewed and replaced. Since the probe has overtravel protection
(nearly 0.25") as long as you're careful you can't break it. As for the
concentricity, the Renishaw macros contain a calibration sequence which
involves jogging the probe to the approximate center of a known concentric
object, such as a ring gauge or a high quality bearing race. The macro
finds the center of the ring 4 times, rotating the probe by 90 degrees each
time. While the macro does this with the aid of a spindle encoder, you
could also probably rewrite the macro to allow you to manually index the
spindle.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 14:29, Roland Jollivet <Roland.Jollivet@...>wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Does anyone here have experience with commercial probes, like Renishaw?
>
> I've been looking at some designs, and what concerns me is tip-changing.
> I can't find any documentation to explain how a device that is sensitive to
> 0.2g touching can withstand the screwing off, and in of a different tip
> without possibly distorting the internals.
>
> Also, when a probe is mounted in the spindle, and although it usually does
> not turn, is the ball at the end meant to be concentric with the mill
> spindle to within the accuracy of the probe, like less than a 1um?
>
> Roland

Roland Jollivet 2010-01-13 12:53:36 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes Michael Fagan 2010-01-13 16:53:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes Will Holding 2010-01-15 02:31:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes Roland Jollivet 2010-01-15 02:31:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes Michael Fagan 2010-01-15 08:57:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes Will Holding 2010-01-17 20:19:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes Michael Fagan 2010-01-17 20:21:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes