CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes

Posted by Will Holding
on 2010-01-17 20:19:14 UTC
It's actually on break technically (electrically) since the Renishaw design
is a normally closed cicuit. It 'breaks" when the probe comes into contact
with the work and lifts one of the three radial posts inside the probe from
its pair of of ball bearings it rests on.

The reason I bring it up is not to be a pedantic boner, but because you have
to configure your CNC program the correct way so you don't crash your probe,
which is kind of important..

An electronic edge finder converted to a probe, etc. will be normally open-
so must be configured the opposite way in your CNC control.

-Will

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Fagan" <woodworker88@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes

> The probing sequence runs at the edge until it hits, backs up about 0.050,
> and hits it again. As far as I know it's measuring on make since that's
> when it beeps in the cycle.
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 00:55, Roland Jollivet
> <Roland.Jollivet@...>wrote:
>

>> Thanks for that.
>> So I presume the probes go with the carousel, and are subjected to quite
>> bit of bumping.
>>
>> Also, are probes always measuring on 'break' only, or do do you have the
>> option to measure on a 'make'. Obviously once the contact has broken ,
>> the
>> probe is in an unknown place, but as it makes contact, it's back to a
>> known.
>>
>> Roland
>>
>> 2010/1/14 Michael Fagan <woodworker88@...
>> <woodworker88%40gmail.com>
>> >

>> > We run Renishaw probes on all of our CNC equipment. The tips are simply
>> > carefully unscrewed and replaced. Since the probe has overtravel
>> > protection
>> > (nearly 0.25") as long as you're careful you can't break it. As for the
>> > concentricity, the Renishaw macros contain a calibration sequence which
>> > involves jogging the probe to the approximate center of a known
>> concentric
>> > object, such as a ring gauge or a high quality bearing race. The macro
>> > finds the center of the ring 4 times, rotating the probe by 90 degrees
>> each
>> > time. While the macro does this with the aid of a spindle encoder, you
>> > could also probably rewrite the macro to allow you to manually index
>> > the
>> > spindle.
>> >
>> > On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 14:29, Roland Jollivet <
>> Roland.Jollivet@... <Roland.Jollivet%40gmail.com>

>> tip-changing.
>> sensitive

>> > does

>> > Post Messages:
>> > CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com<CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO%40yahoogroups.com>
>> >
>> > Subscribe:
>> > CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com<CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
>> > Unsubscribe:
>> > List owner:
>> > CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-owner@yahoogroups.com<CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-owner%40yahoogroups.com>,
>> wanliker@... <wanliker%40aol.com>,
>> > timg@... <timg%40ktmarketing.com>
>> > Moderator: pentam@... <pentam%40cncKITS.com>
>> indigo_red@... <indigo_red%40qwest.net>
>> davemucha@...<davemucha%40juno.com>[Moderators]
>> >
>> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
>> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
>> > aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
>> > it
>> if
>> > you have trouble.
>> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

>> > sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there,
>> > for
>> OT
>> > subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> [...]

Discussion Thread

Roland Jollivet 2010-01-13 12:53:36 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes Michael Fagan 2010-01-13 16:53:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes Will Holding 2010-01-15 02:31:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes Roland Jollivet 2010-01-15 02:31:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes Michael Fagan 2010-01-15 08:57:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes Will Holding 2010-01-17 20:19:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes Michael Fagan 2010-01-17 20:21:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Probes