CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 Axis Cam Software

Posted by Jim fleig
on 2010-04-02 07:06:55 UTC
Fred, a very complete and easily understandable email. Nice job!

Jim Fleig
www.cncservices.ws

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 1, 2010, at 9:19 AM, "imserv1" <imserv@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "roboticscnc" <gsm42@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know of a cheap 4 axis Cam Software ( preferably
> continuous
> > 4 axis )
>
> For rotary axis machining there are two inexpensive CAM applications
> that provide some functionality:
>
> DeskCNC - 3D rotary machining of .STL files about a rotational axis,
> using a raster pattern. $250
>
> VcarvePro 5.5 - Wrapped rotary toolpaths, and some widgits for doing
> 3D spirals and flutes. $599
>
> These produce G-code which can be run on any G-code compatible
> machine controller with 4 axes.
>
> As far as I know none of the inexpensive rotary 4th axis programming
> software, nor the simulator software will take into account tool,
> tool holder, unmachined stock, and part interferences, which is the
> expensive ( and useful) part of 4 and 5 axis programming systems.
>
> The other problem with 4 or more axes of machine control is that
> there are many ways to build a machine, and the CAM software has to
> be able to adjust the correct rotational axis.
>
> Some examples of different 4 axis rotary setups:
>
> 4 axis mill:
>
> 1) standard 3 linear axis, with a rotaty table parallel to the X
> axis (A360) compatible with the software I listed above.
>
> 2) standard 3 linear axis with a rotary table parallel to the Z axis
> (C360) ( also same setup for lathe with driven tooling)
>
> 3) 3 linear axes plus a tilting spindle (usually A or B, often with
> limited range of motion, ie only +/- 90, or 0-35 degrees positions)
>
> Now add a trunnion table holding a rotary for a 5 axis, or multiple
> tilt and rotational positioning for the spindle, or combinations of
> both for more complex machines.
>
> The Cam-programming software has to be aware of the joints, lengths,
> and work offsets for each axis to be able to calculate the tool
> paths. It's not a trivial task, and especially if you are doing
> surface machining and you want to maximize the material removal rate
> ( by cutting high on the ball of the end mill) and avoid all
> collisions. Non standard tool shapes can also get tricky, as can
> constant material removal rates.
>
> 4 linear axes:
>
> There are some 4 axis machines that do not use rotary. 4 axis CAM
> can be used for wire EDM and hot wire foam cutting, to combine two
> end shapes into a smoothly blended form. Round on one end and square
> on the other. DeskCNC also has this function, and will create G-code
> for XYUV hot wire foam cutters. ( U-V are auxiliary, linear axes,
> parallel to the X and Y axes) The input is usually two closed DXF
> shapes.
>
> Fred Smith - IMService
> http://www.imsrv.com

roboticscnc 2010-03-28 02:58:58 UTC 4 Axis Cam Software Alfredo Sola 2010-03-28 04:13:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 4 Axis Cam Software Jim fleig 2010-03-28 08:13:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 4 Axis Cam Software roboticscnc 2010-03-30 05:31:29 UTC Re: 4 Axis Cam Software Jim Fleig - CNC Services 2010-03-30 10:08:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 Axis Cam Software William Thomas 2010-03-30 10:55:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 Axis Cam Software Jon Elson 2010-03-30 18:39:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 Axis Cam Software Peter Reilley 2010-03-30 18:44:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 Axis Cam Software Stephen Wille Padnos 2010-03-31 01:04:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 Axis Cam Software William Thomas 2010-03-31 21:33:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 Axis Cam Software imserv1 2010-04-01 06:22:02 UTC Re: 4 Axis Cam Software Jim fleig 2010-04-02 07:06:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 4 Axis Cam Software