CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: LINUX basics

Posted by Bob Bachman
on 1999-07-03 13:13:30 UTC
Ian,

I installed Dragonlinux75 on a older laptop so I could take it on vacation and
spend some leisure time learning some basics. (I also have a desktop pc
setup with
RH 5.2).

I did learn a number of things using DL75, but I never could get it to
mount a floppy.

The documentation for DL75 is slim at best. I had the book which came with
RH5.2
and the ebooks from the RH5.2 cds on a second laptop for references.
Learned how
to make and remove directories and files, create and edit text files, move and
rename files, etc.

The best discovery was a file manager program called "Midnight Commander"
which is
included with DL75. Just type "mc" (without the quotes) and press enter. MC
will
let you browse directories, view text files, edit text files (great for
config files)
copy, make and remove dir. and so forth. Saves an awful lot of typing. MC
is also
part of the RH5.2 installation.

There are a number of man files included in DL75, but if you try to access
them
you get a message about manconfg no configured or something. Couldn't figure
out what to do next. (I'm that way with most of this Linux stuff.)

Since returning from vacation I have installed the rt patches to RH5.2 and the
EMC software. Haven't had any luck getting emc to run. Matt Shaver and others
have been helpful but no go yet.

Bob
emc