CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: axis naming conventions

Posted by Smoke
on 2000-11-21 20:05:06 UTC
Doug...I heard that rule in school!

I've been a machine designer for more years than I care to remember, so I
have a pretty good idea of what the X Y & Z axes are. None of them have
changed....only people's INTERPRETATION of which is which.

For instance: You have a vertical knee type milling machine with an X Y & Z
axis. The X axis goes from left to right (standing in front of the machine
loking at it)parallel to the floor, the Y axis travels 90 degrees to the X
axis and is also parallel to the floor. The Z axis is vertical travel of
the mill quill.

So, you mount a small lathe on the mill table with the centerline of the
spindle and tailstock parallel to the X axis on the mill table. Now you
disconnect the X & Z axis of the mill. Now you have a lathe that will
travel up and down in the Z direction due to being mounted on the knee.

Now your lathe won't work because the lathe cutting tool is on the wrong
(Y) axis. Or course you could reconnect the quill axis and mount the lathe
tools in the quill.

:)

LIke I said earlier......(read it)

Smoke