CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: I made a bol***cks of it!

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 1999-07-19 11:12:55 UTC
Ian,

I have no experience with the particular failure you are having, but it
seems to me that building a new kernel is not the cure you need. If the
system can boot the kernel image is OK. If the image somehow got corrupt
(don't know how as it is my understanding the kernel images are compressed
and read only) the system would not boot.

TIm
[Denver, CO]

----- Original Message -----
From: Ian W. Wright <Ian@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Sent: Monday, July 19, 1999 12:00 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I made a bol***cks of it!

> From: "Ian W. Wright" <Ian@...>
>
> Help!
>
> I had a power failure whilst linux was booting up and now it won't
> recognise my mouse. I have been messing about with it almost the whole
> day today (or at least, groping around in the dark) and I'm no nearer a
> solution. I even tried, unsuccessfully, to build a new kernel and now
> I'm right back where I started. I started the day with good intentions
> and was hoping by now to have persuaded a soundcard and a modem to work
> and to have upgraded EMC to the latest release and installed KD desktop.
> As it is I'm sitting here looking very glum with a machine I don't
> understand and a dead mouse!
> If anyone can enlighten me, there are two main things I don't
> understand.
> 1. What is missing to start up the mouse - it is still attached to
> 'COM1' and, when linux boots I notice that it still claims to be loading
> 'gmu' mouse driver but it is totally unresponsive. I have checked the
> physical wiring and it does work in Windows '95 which I have in another
> partition on a separate hard disk (hda1 - linux is on hdb1-5). I got the
> modem working in Windows attached to COM2 but haven't managed to pursue
> getting it configured in linux.
> 2. What went wrong with building a new kernel and how do I get round it
> if such a rebuild is necessary. Since I didn't need to install an
> updated version, I assumed I would be able to use the original source
> file again and so I deleted the linux directory and linked the existing
> linux-2,0,36 file in /usr/src. I then did the usual make config which
> rattled away for quite a while and then the other commands up to make
> modules - this returned a number of errors saying nothing was to be done
> but make modules_install seened to work OK> however, when I then came to
> copy the zImage into the /boot directory, there was no zImage in the
> /usr/src/linux....etc directory.
> I have assumed that the power outage was the cause of my problems since
> everything seems to work Ok in Windows - but I could be wrong :-(
> Any help will be very gratefully received.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Ian

Discussion Thread

Ian W. Wright 1999-07-19 11:00:27 UTC I made a bol***cks of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-19 11:12:55 UTC Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Carles Perello 1999-07-20 00:36:56 UTC Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Ian W. Wright 1999-07-20 15:18:47 UTC Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-20 15:35:55 UTC Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Ian W. Wright 1999-07-21 10:22:20 UTC Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-21 11:24:43 UTC Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Ian W. Wright 1999-07-22 04:55:04 UTC Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-22 08:01:22 UTC Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it!