CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it!

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 1999-07-20 15:35:55 UTC
Ian,

if you are setting this up on a Pentium system just do a workstation install
, set X for 800 x 600 or greater and then run the script on my web site at
( http://206.19.206.56/installemc.htm ) from a floppy. On my Pentium 200 MMX
the whole process from beginning to booting RT Linux takes about 35 - 40
minutes.

From what I can tell, the workstation install does repartition and format
your drive, but it seems to read some config files from your old install
first. I have done the Workstation install numerous times on one system and
it will keep the machine host name through the install.

Tim
Denver, CO

----- Original Message -----
From: Ian W. Wright <Ian@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: I made a bol***cks of it!

> From: "Ian W. Wright" <Ian@...>
>
> Thanks for the advice everyone but I still couldn't figure it out. The
> annoying thing is that it was working so well before the power plug fell
> out.
> Anyway, today I have even more problems, but, hopefully, not such
> awkward ones. In desperation I decided to completely reinstall linux so
> I started from the RedHat boot disk and installed again as Workstation.
> It said that the disk would be wiped clean and so I thought 'great,
> there will be nothing to cause problems again, - wrong!!
> The installation of linux and xwindows seemed to go OK and it even found
> my mouse and re-vitalised it (although it tells me its on cua1 whilst
> windows thinks its on COM 1).
> I then installed the new kernel patches (getting the 'script' error, on
> the headers one but no error on the source one) and then copied the
> release9J.tgz file across and (un)tarred it, again apparently OK. When I
> patched it I got a message saying something about something missing from
> a config.(something) file (I only just noticed this on my 4th attempt at
> clean seemed to go Ok but when I did make zImage it ended with a series
> of error messages giving file info and saying 'system too big'. It had,
> however, made a zImage file in the right /boot sub directory and so I
> copied this across to /boot and tried to set up lilo. When the system
> reboots now it says 'starting rtl' (I changed the label in the lilo
> script) and then 'unable to find startup signature...' and the system
> hangs.
> Does anyone have any ideas? Does the workstation installation actually
> clean the drive first or would I be better reformatting it (as dos? or
> can you do it from a linux boot disk?). If the problem lies in a file,
> is there any way of determining which one? I noticed that one of the
> update .rpm files I have downloaded from the redhat updates site is
> called just 'kernel-2.0.36-3.i386.rpm' - if the problem is with the
> files on my original redhat 5.2 CD could I use this to correct the
> installation and if so how?
> Thanks for any help, After 4 failed attempts to reload the system today
> I'm completely mentally exhausted - perhaps I'd be better off just
> carrying on twiddling the knobs on my milling machine manually - the
> physical exertion would be much less traumatic!! ;o)
>
> Best wishes
>
> Ian

Discussion Thread

Ian W. Wright 1999-07-19 11:00:27 UTC I made a bol***cks of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-19 11:12:55 UTC Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Carles Perello 1999-07-20 00:36:56 UTC Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Ian W. Wright 1999-07-20 15:18:47 UTC Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-20 15:35:55 UTC Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Ian W. Wright 1999-07-21 10:22:20 UTC Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-21 11:24:43 UTC Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Ian W. Wright 1999-07-22 04:55:04 UTC Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-22 08:01:22 UTC Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it!