CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: I made a bol***cks of it!

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 1999-07-22 08:01:22 UTC
Now I understand the problem!! Me thinks your kernel patch and compile is
just fine, but the script is set with the assumption that Linux is on hda
and that there are no other OSs or partitions on the disk.

2 ways to proceed that I can think of.
1 - Try to use your rescue disk and access the file structure and edit
lilo.conf and reinstall LILO. I think this has a very small chance of
success unless you can find a local Linux guru to help you.
2 - Do a new install of workstation and then edit the script and lilo.conf
BEFORE you run the script. I think this is your best hope. Here is what you
need to do.
Open the script file in an emacs and remove the line: cp -f
/mnt/floppy/lilo.con /etc/lilo.con
Now you are set to run the script. When the emacs appears at the end of the
script to edit lilo.conf you will have to manually add the RT Linux boot .
Following is an example of what the lilo.conf file looks like for a
workstation installation on a single drive with no extra partitions:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-1
label=rtlinux
root=/dev/hda5
read-only
append="mem=31m"
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
label=linux
root=/dev/hda5
read-only

What is messing you up are the references to hda. Whyat you will need to
add to the lilo.conf you will see in the emacs is the section that starts
after timeout=50 and before image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7. Yours will
differ from the example in that the line root= will have a different drive
designation and you need to adjust the memory for what is appropriate to
your system.

Hope this is clear. If you are unsure, do the new workstation install and
then e-mail me your /etc/lilo.conf file and I will edit it as needed for you
and then you can use it with a modified script. If you do this I will also
need to know how much memory you have.

Tim
[Denver, CO]