CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: CNC upgrade

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 1999-07-19 23:36:21 UTC

The pulse rate the computer can generate will be dependent upon the software
you are using. I was able to get mach faster speeds with DanCAD than I was
with DeskNC on the same system, but DeskNC was certainly doing more
considering it was showing a tool path.

> 2 It would be nice to have the ability to see the cutter paths
> generated
> on screen before I switch on the hardware and do any cutting , at
> present I
> get an X Y Z print out on screen as the job is in progress, but as you can
> imagine this is difficult to see at times due to the speed, never mind
> follow the program.
> I quite like the sound of DeskNC or Supercam, which of these do you
> prefer ?

I have only have experience with DeskNC and it does show an OK tool path. I
have gotten a g-code editor display program called Discriminator NC that is
very nice and has a graphical tool path utility that beats the DeskNC one
all to heck and I can run it on my NT system. There is a link to it on my
web site (www.ktmarketing.com). The cost is only $30.00

> 3 I would not mind upgrading the computer side of things to a
> pentium if
> this was required.

If you are planning on running EMC I would highly suggest a pentium class
machine. I am running it on an AMD K-6 350 and it runs like a charm. You can
pick these up pretty cheap. I would just suggest staying away from the AMD
K-6 233 or slower as they ran REAL HOT!!

> 4. I took a look at Dans website directly after sending the 1st Email
> out, and I was very impressed, how difficult is it to build
> one of these
> boards up, as I am more at home with a hammer and chissel than a
> soldering
> iron, how is the voltage controlled for various types of stepper,
> are there
> resistors fitted to cope with this,
> Has anyone built a one who could advise of the pitfalls, if any ?
> having the do's and don'ts to hand can save a lot of time and effort.
> What would come naturally to you electronics experts, has to be
> drummed into Joe Bloggs, to avoid the disasters and expense of blown
> components ( always happens when you think you are doing just
> fine, then you
> switch on, smoke appears from whatever you are working on, and you think
> well how did that happen, many tears, kick the dog, off to the bar to
> contemplate, many drinks later, off home , get up next day, into workshop,
> count the cost and start again)

I am running one of Dan's 5 amp controllers and I have helped a couple of
people with them both local and long distance. You don't have to be an EE,
just have decent soldering technique and follow the directions. When unsure,
ask first.

> 5 As I said earlier I do like the sound of Linux and EMC, I am going to
> try to get hold of a copy of Ver 5.2 maybe for future use ( after
> everybody
> else has beaten the track and sorted the problems)

Jump in the water is fine if you don't mind the shark over there <g>

Tim
[Denver, CO]

Discussion Thread

Peter Smith 1999-07-16 12:03:52 UTC CNC upgrade Tim Goldstein 1999-07-16 13:10:14 UTC Re: CNC upgrade TADGUNINC@x... 1999-07-16 18:01:27 UTC Re: CNC upgrade Peter Smith 1999-07-19 08:20:36 UTC Re: CNC upgrade Peter Smith 1999-07-19 08:52:11 UTC Re: CNC upgrade Ian W. Wright 1999-07-19 11:20:51 UTC Re: CNC upgrade Tim Goldstein 1999-07-19 23:36:21 UTC RE: CNC upgrade Peter Smith 1999-07-20 10:55:14 UTC Re: CNC upgrade smittys8002000 2002-08-10 19:55:54 UTC CNC upgrade Carol & Jerry Jankura 2002-08-10 20:32:36 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC upgrade todd smith 2002-08-10 23:02:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC upgrade wanliker@a... 2002-08-11 04:29:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC upgrade stevenson_engineers 2002-08-11 08:08:08 UTC Re: CNC upgrade Ray Henry 2002-08-11 15:43:21 UTC Re: RE: CNC upgrade Carol & Jerry Jankura 2002-08-11 19:44:57 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: RE: CNC upgrade Jon Elson 2002-08-11 22:41:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: RE: CNC upgrade Ray Henry 2002-08-12 10:33:17 UTC Re: Re: Re: RE: CNC upgrade