CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC upgrade

on 2002-08-10 20:32:36 UTC
Hi, Smitty:

You can ask either here, or on the Sherline list. I'd probably start by
looking through the archives on both sites. It's a combination of hardware
and software. In terms of software, either buy Sherline's CNC ready
machines, or buy Sherline's coupling kit to add to your existing tools. The
coupling kit is excellent and well thought out for Sherline equipment.

From there, you have the motors. Double ended or single ended. I chose
double ended because I still wanted to have the handwheels attached to allow
for manual mode or set up. Others say that the handwheels aren't necessary
once you add CNC. I find that I still use mine.

After the motors, there are the drivers. I chose Camtronics 2 amp kit
because I'm not afraid of putting kits together (my background is electrical
engineering, and I developed some machine vision based control systems for
industrial machinery prior to retirement). Others choose Gecko, both because
they're assembled and because they have higher current ratings than the
Camtronc. It all depends what your needs are. Whatever you do, choose a
bipolar driver in preference to a unipolar driver. You'll find much better
performance.

Then, there's the software - G-Code interpreter (you'll have to choose
between DOS, Linux, or Win95. Obviously, the dos based programs will run
properly on an ancient machine, while the others merely require an obsolete
machine. :) I'm using TurboCNC with a Zenith 486-DX2-50 based notebook with
little memory. Obviously, the Win95 based interpreters won't run on this
machine. Nor would the EMC for Linux. My choice was to stick with an OS I
knew, which meant either DOS or Windows; The Zenith limited it to DOS. Your
mileage may vary.

Next, you'll have to generate G-Code. There are several choices. First, you
can use a standard Text editor and write your own code after analyzing your
drawing. It's tedious, but does work.

After that, you can use the freeware items - Intellicad and ACE Converter.
You draw your part with Intellicad and export a DXF file. You use ACE to
generate the G-Code, and then edit it to add feed rates and duplicate the
instructions for pockets, etc. after you move the Z down a little. Easier
than the all manual, not as neat or useful as the CAD/CAM programs.

If you're willing to spend some money, you can use a program that allows you
to draw the part and generates the G-Code directly. Many of these have the
facility for duplicating code to cut pockets or to drill a series of holes
in a pattern. Two are VectorCAD or Dolphin. I use Vector, am happy with it,
and know nothing about Dolphin other than that it is a CAD/CAM program.

From here, start reading through the message bases and formulate questions.
One thing to consider - a lot of folks like to tune and tweak everything
(it's part of their hobby) so some of the comments made about any of the
hardware/software should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

-- Jerry