CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Success at Last!

on 1999-09-28 09:12:25 UTC
Jon,

I really can't give a good comparison of AHHA and EMC as I have only
started to use each of them. The AHHA software is much easier to use
than EMC, but that may be because AHHA is a more mature program with
with more user input to the developers. One big plus to AHHA is the
Setup menu which can be accessed with the software running. This makes
tweaking the variables for max performance much easier. With EMC it
is necessary to exit the program, load an editor, load the ini file,
make changes, save the file, exit the editor, and then restart EMC.
Very tedious when setting up a new machine. Fred Proctor has said
he is working on a new gui which should be a big help. Perhaps a
setup menu could be added. Another feature of AHHA is an
internal editor which allows you to edit a gcode file,
again without exiting the main program. I am using
an older version of AHHA PRO which I purchased second hand about
a year ago. The good folks at AHHA sent me at no charge the latest
software that would work with their card I have.

Of course, EMC is free. If I added up the hours spent trying to
educate myself on Linux, rt, emc, etc, - it was a long way from 'free'.

>From: Jon Anderson <janders@...>
>Would be very interested in your thoughts regarding EMC vs Ahha
>software. I'm presently running Ahha on a MaxNC mill, and building a
>gantry mill.

Check the AST site. I bought two AST BRAVO pentium 100 a while back
for $75 ea. Tha AST site has flash-bios updates for these machines
>Just scored a pentium 90 on ebay, just need to install a CD
>drive and I'm ready to start trying to install Linux. I hope to get EMC
>up and working on the MAX before the gantry mill is done.

The list started just about the time I got the Supermax mill. Would not
be anywhere near having it running without the advise from people here!
>BTW, the list cut some time off my schedule, I was all set to try and
>install Linux on a 486 when that issue came up.

>Jon

Discussion Thread

Bob Bachman 1999-09-26 21:33:58 UTC Success at Last! Jon Anderson 1999-09-26 21:36:22 UTC Re: Success at Last! batwings@x... 1999-09-26 18:40:22 UTC Re: Success at Last! Robert Bachman 1999-09-28 09:12:25 UTC Re: Success at Last! stratton@x... 1999-09-28 06:30:56 UTC Re: Success at Last! Robert Bachman 1999-09-28 10:37:51 UTC Re: Success at Last! Tim Goldstein 1999-09-28 08:01:24 UTC Re: Success at Last! Jon Elson 1999-09-28 21:48:51 UTC Re: Success at Last! batwings@x... 1999-09-28 18:31:08 UTC Re: Success at Last! Dan Falck 1999-09-29 16:30:43 UTC Re: Success at Last! lorenzojose2000 2002-03-24 08:40:28 UTC Re: archive update and request fo input